Mountain Goat Fancy Pants

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NewtownClown said:
Tried it at The Union in Newtown last week and again on Saturday.

Very happy with the balance.

Now available in bottles, too!
yeah mine was a bottle. I have a reasonable local bottlo just never any money.
Yeah balance is fine it was more just personal preference. Really nice mouthfeel and body and munich boost the malt palate. Great work.

photo.JPG
i had one the other day and it was really good they sell them at http://www.mccoppins.com.au/bottleshop.html

I just had one of these, the best beer i've had from the goat for a while. Any tried the clone recipes posted above?

Wow...posted going back to '08...bit late to this one.
But my oh my, what a beer! Just superb balance of hop & malt.
Really enjoyed the malt richness and texture most of all - very amber/brown beers i've tried come close!

Grabbed one at the "Big Bogan Bottleshop" in Shearwater. Man those bottle-o's are expensive, but often have a few interesting beers.

Whodathunk ya'd get Nogne O and mountain goat in a hamlet in Tassie.

As for the beer - very nice. The guy there didn't have it in the till, so made up a price - $8 a bottle. So I got more. But generally it's around $13 a bottle and was when I was in Hobart last weekend.

Good, hoppy, aromatic. Probably the best commercial beer I've had in Tassie yet (though it's not Taswegian). All the tassie stuff is nice, but nothing extraordinary, especially for the price.

This one is nice - reminds me of one of mine and Galaxy is never a bad thing in a malty beer. Ever!

Goomba

pat_00 said:
I just had one of these, the best beer i've had from the goat for a while. Any tried the clone recipes posted above?
if u read the bottle or the above posys youd realise its a different recipe than the old recipe. Im working on a starter clone. Will post soon.

I recon something like this (just back down the grain to reduce the % alc) would be close. in fact i have a feeling that the gyle i going to run of this will be even closer

Galaxy amber Ale (over Proof version)

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.15
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.08
Anticipated SRM: 15.3
Anticipated IBU: 52.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
78.6 9.55 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
5.4 0.66 kg. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.4 0.66 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
5.4 0.66 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2
4.0 0.49 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24
1.1 0.13 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 381

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 42.7 First WH
20g Cascade FWH
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 9.3 15 min.
20g Cascade 15min
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop
20g Cascade dry hop

Yeast
American Ale II (1272)

Mash Schedule
Grain kg: 12.15
Saccharification Rest Temp : 65 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 2

Notes
caramunichI could be used to sub for carared or crystal 20
Choc should be pale choc

10g calcium suplhate in mash,
20g calcium chloride mash

If No Chill - 25 gms Galaxy and cascadeFrench pressed for 1min
25 gms Galaxy and cascade French pressed for 10min

The MG reps were at Dans (of all places) in Camberwell on Friday night, and were selling fancy pants for $9.90 with a free stubby of any MG beer you wanted. I bought three bottles and got myself 3x IPA's for free :)

God I love MG! Every time I have one of their beers I remember my engagement party I had there about 6 years ago, when they were still manually capping their bottles.

FYI, their mainstream brews (Hightail, Steam and IPA) are now produced in some other mystical factory, not the Richmond site... This is why they now have pull-apart six-pack holders rather than the good ones with the handle, and why they have gone to twist-tops. How about those facts?

Know who/where they're outsourcing their brewing to?

Edak said:
FYI, their mainstream brews (Hightail, Steam and IPA) are now produced in some other mystical factory, not the Richmond site... This is why they now have pull-apart six-pack holders rather than the good ones with the handle, and why they have gone to twist-tops. How about those facts?
Both of those facts suck.

Had a bottle of this the other day. Very keen to button down a recipe. Has anyone done it with any success?

danbeer said:
Know who/where they're outsourcing their brewing to?
I was told by a Mountain Goat employee that all the stubbies are brewed and bottled in Laverton, so most likely Independent Distillers.
Kegs and the bigger bottles are done at the brewery in Richmond.

Just bumping this for anyone who has been close to cloning this one.....Please post your recipe.

I recon the recipe above is close. Back the bitterness down a little. Mash around 66C and its a good start.

citymorgue2 said:
I recon the recipe above is close. Back the bitterness down a little. Mash around 66C and its a good start.
Appreciate your assistance citymorgue2. I guess in the absence of a tested recipe I'll roll with a version of that.

I have the galaxy, but no cascade. If I'm going off the map I think I'll use the Citra I already have. Is it fair to say that it's the malt that is the most important element in this recipe? I also have some Simcoe. Happy to be advised if anyone has an opinion on which way to jump with the hops.

The recent incarnation is fairly malty. Either hop will do as it needs to be cascade to be a clone. Citra or simcoe would go jocely. Maybe simcoe.

citymorgue2 said:
I recon something like this (just back down the grain to reduce the % alc) would be close. in fact i have a feeling that the gyle i going to run of this will be even closer

Galaxy amber Ale (over Proof version)

Batch Size (L): 40.00 Wort Size (L): 40.00
Total Grain (kg): 12.15
Anticipated OG: 1.066 Plato: 16.08
Anticipated SRM: 15.3
Anticipated IBU: 52.0
Brewhouse Efficiency: 69 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar
% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
78.6 9.55 kg. JWM Traditional Ale Malt Australia 1.038 3
5.4 0.66 kg. Crystal 60L America 1.034 60
5.4 0.66 kg. JWM Light Munich Australia 1.038 10
5.4 0.66 kg. Weyermann Carapils (Carafoam) Germany 1.037 2
4.0 0.49 kg. Weyermann Carared Germany 1.036 24
1.1 0.13 kg. JWM Chocolate Malt Australia 1.032 381

Hops
Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 42.7 First WH
20g Cascade FWH
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 9.3 15 min.
20g Cascade 15min
20 g. Galaxy Pellet 15.00 0.0 Dry Hop
20g Cascade dry hop

Yeast
American Ale II (1272)

Mash Schedule
Grain kg: 12.15
Saccharification Rest Temp : 65 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 75 Time: 2

Notes
caramunichI could be used to sub for carared or crystal 20
Choc should be pale choc

10g calcium suplhate in mash,
20g calcium chloride mash

If No Chill - 25 gms Galaxy and cascadeFrench pressed for 1min
25 gms Galaxy and cascade French pressed for 10min
Sorry to drag up an old post, I have some carahell that needs using and was thinking of the above, with carahell instead of carared
Thoughts?
Cheers