Mould On The Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Since I got my large chest freezer I've been storing the few bottles I get from each brew (I keg everything) in there as well as it is a nice temp controlled 18 degrees.
I notice this morning that a number of the bottles have mould spores on the outside.
Seems that a little of the overflow from bottling has proven a great breeding ground for mould.
I've never had this problem before (ie when I used to store the bottles in boxes in the shed).
Anyway I've wiped all the bottles down with bactarial wipes and in the future will have to make sure I also wipe any bottles after bottling.
Has anyone else had this problem ?

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Since I got my large chest freezer I've been storing the few bottles I get from each brew (I keg everything) in there as well as it is a nice temp controlled 18 degrees.
I notice this morning that a number of the bottles have mould spores on the outside.
Seems that a little of the overflow from bottling has proven a great breeding ground for mould.
I've never had this problem before (ie when I used to store the bottles in boxes in the shed).
Anyway I've wiped all the bottles down with bactarial wipes and in the future will have to make sure I also wipe any bottles after bottling.
Has anyone else had this problem ?

Beers,
Doc
Weird.
I don't get that prob but I rinse and towel dry all my bottles after capping and I store them in a dark but aerated cupboard.

Freezers are designed to run at minus whatever degrees, hence mould would not be problem. At 18C, it's the perfect temp for mould to grow and along with the sealed and slightly moist environment....

Maybe you should keep a jar with a small amount of dry SO2 in it in there?

Latest posts

Back