Mould In Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott

Reaction score
I have an all grain pale ale in the fermenter at the moment. It appears to have some light mould growth on the top. I am sure it is the beginning of a mould growth as my last brew had the same. I put that one down the sink as I was worried about getting people sick. After the last one the fermenter was washed with both napisan and steriliser with good rinses between. This is the only two times I have got a mould growth. I am brewing a small 15L batch in a 30L fermenter. We are up north in Karratha so it is quite warm, the fermenter stays indoors in the airconditioning sitting in a water bath. I have not opened the fermenter. In this second brew I dumped the whole of the boil in the fermneter as it had a large amount of late hops. The bubbler was quite vigorous for a day or so then stopped.

I am unsure what I have done wrong as far as cleanliness goes.

Can the beer be used or should it be dumped?

Thanks

Providing your cleaned it out and rinsed it out properly you should be right mate
Are you kidding us ?
That mould on top is called krausen/head
say no more

To little info bout the bubbling,
maybe it is not air tight but still going greAT

APRIL FOOL IS OVER BY THE WAY IN oz
:eek: :rolleyes:

I wish it was an April fools joke. It's definately not krausen. The first batch was left in the fermenter for almost three weeks so it was well and truly subsided. I thought it may be that but when I was bottling it was definately a thin wispy mould growing over the top.

I wish it was an April fools joke. It's definately not krausen. The first batch was left in the fermenter for almost three weeks so it was well and truly subsided. I thought it may be that but when I was bottling it was definately a thin wispy mould growing over the top.

Did you taste it? What colour is it?

What are you brewing? What was the recipe?

Send us a pickie. The top of beer can look weird at the best of times.

-braufrau

Latest posts

Back