Motorised Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megs80

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im building a motorised grain mill. Thought id add some pics of its development. I have an idea of what I want but didnt do drawings so constructions alittle clunky as Im making changes all the time. Specs of my mill are. .2hp electric motor with big ass start capacitor 10mm shaft, large pulley is 340mm diameter. mill is a monster mill mm2. Cheers.

motor.jpg

interface_connector.jpg

monster_mill.jpg

motor_belt.jpg

new_base_board.jpg

proof_of_concept_01.jpg

right_way_up_3_quarter_plate_left.jpg

right_way_up_3_quarter_plate.jpg

unpsidedown_assembly_02.jpg

Be interested if the 10mm shaft gets enogh area of contact for the high torque load at that angle of wrap...even with the grooves....

Keep us posted?

the motor is designed for a dryer. The shaft in that goes from 10mm to 450mm and is designed to stop and start while under load. The mill runs at 81 rpm. Alittle slower than id like but it will cold start full of grain no worries, thanks to the start capacitor

the motor is designed for a dryer. The shaft in that goes from 10mm to 450mm and is designed to stop and start while under load. The mill runs at 81 rpm. Alittle slower than id like but it will cold start full of grain no worries, thanks to the start capacitor

Oh ok.. cool, thanks for the reply! Never really thought of pulling an old dryer to bits for this sort of gear... might be time to go on the hunt!

Neither did I to start with. They are a great candidate as they spin a large drum about 60rpm, are designed to stop start under load and are really simple to work out unlike front load washer motors which are abit complex

Heres some more images of the hopper raw. Ive also added a link to a run test without the hopper.

Cheers

Youtube link

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0128.jpg

IMAG0129.jpg

IMAG0130.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, megs... you should drill the mdf before end screwing it though... ;)

Ol eagle eye Schooey! :lol: I do drill out my holes, I was just alittle tight with the strip above the pulley. Im not that rusty with building by hand :). Im bogging the whole thing then adding 2pac which should hide most of my sloppyness. Ive added another youtube vid. The links below.

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, Raw as in raw mdf no sanding coating etc

Yep got that.
I see things that, well most of the time aren't there (I don't see dead people though). Yes sometimes it is lonely on my world. :lol:
Does this make the Rickshaw pun clearer? Maybe 'wheel barrow' would have been better but it didn't sorta rhyme.

rickshawmill.jpg

Top effort BTW, I am looking forward to seeing it develop.

Yep got that.
I see things that, well most of the time aren't there (I don't see dead people though). Yes sometimes it is lonely on my world. :lol:
Does this make the Rickshaw pun clearer? Maybe 'wheel barrow' would have been better but it didn't sorta rhyme.

rickshawmill.jpg

Thats awwesome! Dont worry I must have a flat head as stuff flys over it often

Looking great there brother.

I just got a jigsaw, drill and MDF to do the same thing.

From the vid it looks like it had no trouble kicking up under a full load of grain, megs... will be on the hunt for a scrapped or cheapy drier now... :)

Yep got that.

rickshawmill.jpg

LOL
:lol:

Hey all,

Just thought id post some more images.
K, the idea so far.Decided to join the hopper and the base together as to create one big box. As opposed to two boxes joined. Once im all done it will be painted high gloss piano black whic should look pretty good. Going minimalist here. Im adding some perforated stainless sheet on the back so you can see the pulley spin during grinding. Might give the pulley a sandblast to bring it out a little. Also the mill will be placed on thin alu legs high enough to put handy pales underneath. Black box floating, oohh. To finish it off im chatting to the guys at Monster brewing co about getting a vinyl sticker made to go on the outside. A matt black logo on a gloss black body should look rad!

Overkill, yes. In efficient use of space, maybe. But I thought what the hell may as well make it look like a piece of furniture.

Also the images of me drilling holes are for schooey :p

Cheers

mill_side_view.jpg

P1010014r.jpg

P1010010r.jpg

P1010009r.jpg

P1010007r.jpg

P1010006r.jpg

P1010017r.jpg

P1010015r.jpg

Hey all,

Just thought id post some more images.
K, the idea so far.Decided to join the hopper and the base together as to create one big box. As opposed to two boxes joined. Once im all done it will be painted high gloss piano black whic should look pretty good. Going minimalist here. Im adding some perforated stainless sheet on the back so you can see the pulley spin during grinding. Might give the pulley a sandblast to bring it out a little. Also the mill will be placed on thin alu legs high enough to put handy pales underneath. Black box floating, oohh. To finish it off im chatting to the guys at Monster brewing co about getting a vinyl sticker made to go on the outside. A matt black logo on a gloss black body should look rad!

Overkill, yes. In efficient use of space, maybe. But I thought what the hell may as well make it look like a piece of furniture.

Also the images of me drilling holes are for schooey :p

Cheers
(1) Would it be a good idea to have an idler wheel (read tensioner) on the belt?
(2) Gunna be a beyatch to get into the pulley belt compartment if it comes off or needs adjustment etc. I reckon belts need to be covered but accessible without busting knuckles.

Just some random thoughts for you to ignore if you want.

(1) Would it be a good idea to have an idler wheel (read tensioner) on the belt?
(2) Gunna be a beyatch to get into the pulley belt compartment if it comes off or needs adjustment etc. I reckon belts need to be covered but accessible without busting knuckles.

Just some random thoughts for you to ignore if you want.

Yeah good point on the idler wheel. I havent had an issue yet, the mill kicks over full of grain no probs at the moment. I will be able to retrofit one if the belt slackens enough over time to start slipping.

With gaining access. The pulley can be accessed from the underside just by removing the cover ( when thats made) or If the i need to access the working parts i can unscrew and pull out the board everything is mounted too. Adjusting the crush would be done out side of the body like in my first you tube post.

Thanks for the note. I will double check and see if i can put the belt on the pulley without having to unscrew it.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back