Most Abused Brewing Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakub76

Reaction score
Here's the most abused piece of my brewing kit...

capper01.JPG

This is my first and still my only capper. I got it in 1991 when I first started brewing and it's still going strong-ish after thousands of hits with a hammer.

capper02.JPG

Now I get splinters of wood flying off and the spilts in the handle are getting a little worrying but I have complete faith in the cup. I have heard that they can wear out and not seal properly but I'm still getting great results, maybe they don't make em like they used to ;)

Hey dude, I dont think you are supposed to hit that with a metal hammer.

I think it was designed for a wooden mallet. Or if you want to get out of the 19th century use a polly mallet.

Bet you could find a fellow brewer with one of those fancy new fangeled machines called a lathe to make a replacement handle for it.

As to an abused piece of brewing equipment, you have me beat big time.

My most abused piece of equipment is my fuc&*(% March pump that wont prime :angry:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

My most abused piece of equipment is my fuc&*(% March pump that wont prime :angry:

:icon_cheers:

Paul

Its probably how you have it mounted. Post a pic up and maybe we can help out with that.

PS.......... cool looking capper!

pillowcase__Medium_.jpg

I'll have to get a dedicated brewing one and stop borrowing this one off the guest bed in the spare room. :rolleyes:

HAHA :D

Or if you want to get out of the 19th century use a polly mallet.
Gold! I did first try a rubber mallet but the capper quickly made a mess of it. I am considering a bench capper as a not too distant purchase but not until my hand capper dies.

HAHA :D

Gold! I did first try a rubber mallet but the capper quickly made a mess of it. I am considering a bench capper as a not too distant purchase but not until my hand capper dies.

They do have a thing called a dead blow hammer that may work for you. A wooden mallet is the best choice and you can find them at places that cater to wood workers or carvers. The old wood handle chisels are intended to be used with a wood mallet. Or you could make one if you have a drill and can find some suitable wood.

I'd hate to break it to you but its dead already! :icon_cheers:

Duct tape to the rescue, use half a roll of said tape on that bad boy and it'll probably last another 50 years.

Whats with the pillow? Maybe I'm ignorant?

You'll find out :icon_cheers:

Tongue in cheek description of BIAB ("brew in a pillowcase") by those who do that strange three vessel brewing system that bears little resemblance to real brewing.

Real brewing:

Hot liquor Tun
Mash Tun
Lauter Tun
Copper
Underback
Hopback
Coolship

Seven vessel brewing. Way to go. Three vessel is soooo 2008

You forgot the can opener, Bribie.

You'll find out :icon_cheers:

Tongue in cheek description of BIAB ("brew in a pillowcase") by those who do that strange three vessel brewing system that bears little resemblance to real brewing.

Real brewing:

Hot liquor Tun
Mash Tun
Lauter Tun
Copper
Underback
Hopback
Coolship

Seven vessel brewing. Way to go. Three vessel is soooo 2008

its the right colour Bribie....you just need sequins :icon_chickcheers:

Edit....Jakub.....that thing deserves to be in a museum....retire the poor bloody thing!

If it aint (yet) broke why fix it? When I was a brain surgeon I used to abandon my Audis by the side of the road when the ash trays were full but now I persist with my Diahatsu Charade no matter what. :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back