Mosaic Smash

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lindseyyy

Reaction score
Guys,

Getting ready to do a mosaic smash and was looking for others thoughts on what i am thinking about. i was after something with a fruity punch and i've been told mosaic is the hop. anyhow here's what i plan on doing, by the way im doing biab with a 90min boil.

5kg ale male
200g light crystal
200g wheat malt
100g acidulated malt

mosaic 10g at 60min
mosaic 5g at 15min with a whirlfloc tablet
mosaic 10g at 10min
mosaic 10g at 5min
mosaic 5g at flameout

im planning on a no chill with a rehydrated US-05.

im open to any feedback whether it good or bad.

cheers,

how much mosaic have you got?

what sized brew? guessing 2oltrs with biab eff to give you 5% ?

cant comment on cubing other than to say ive given it the arse with hoppy beers

a dry hop of 2g/l would be nice if you have enough on hand

sounds good. Don't know if I'd use it for 60min, prefer magnum or something like that, no harshness.
just kegged a mosaic smash ( sort of) yesterday, very tasty, similiar to galaxy but more citrusy.
was MO with 10% wheat
1g/L cubed ( no chill ) with some magnum to get ibu to @ 30ish ( @ 60min )
1.5g/L dry hopped
1272 yeast

droid said:
a SMaSH means Single Malt and Single Hop btw - hehe
ohh i thought it was just single hop for a smash. i was looking for 21lt brew and i have enough left to add up to 20g for the dry hop addition.

In my single hop Mosiac APA, I did:

10g at 60min
50g Cube
40g Dry hop.

Was great, and really showed me what mosiac brings to the table. Was quite hoppy, tropical, citrusy, a bit resiny. Didn't last very long on tap sadly. I found the mosiac to give a pretty smooth bittering in comparison to other hops like Galaxy, however that being said, most of bitterness came from late additions so it may of clouded it.

Also +1 to 1272 yeast. Either that or Mangrove Jacks M44 are my preferred american yeast. Also if you like a bit of maltiness to your APAs, adding 1kg of munich I goes pretty well.

I did a 38lt brew. Within the English IPA range. 40g at 60min and 60g at flame out. 40 IBU. It is a powerful flavour hop. I found it a little over the top when new but I bottled from keg to age it and it became better and better with time. In one keg I added Oak chips pressure cooked in 50ml Jack Daniels and 100ml water to simulate being aged in Whisky Oak Barrel that was the better beer for sure. I still have some nearly 6 months old and its bloody fantastic. Truly unique stand out flavour compared to anything else I've made.
safale us-05 second culture. As mentioned Mosaic has a resin flavour I thought. Fruity but not like any fruit I could relate it to.

wasn't laughin' at ya btw

so - well, what is your plan eh?

Multiple Malt and Single Hop

or

SMaSH

curious minds and all...

I'd also agree that mosaic works well in a single hop beer. I did an all mosaic pale ale that came out great. No harsh bitterness either from the 10g 60 min addition. Hop schedule was:

10g @ 60
20g @ 30
20g @ 10
20g @ 0
20g dry hop

I've done an all-Vienna SMaSH beer with Mosaic (adds at 60, 10 and flameout), fermented with US-05. Tasty beer. Enough malt backbone from the Vienna and the Mosaic has enough complexity to not make it too simple a beer.

Latest posts

Back