Mosaic extra pale ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elderfi

Reaction score
I've got a Mosaic XPA in the fermenter, a fresh wort kit from All Inn Brewery. It's been doing its thing for a week, I tasted a little today, I went to take a gravity reading but I have lost my hydrometer, tasted some anyway -it is delicious.

Given I have lost my hydrometer, I intend to leave it for another week. I generally leave my brews in the fermenter for two weeks as rule anyway. The visible activity has stopped, so I gather bottling in a week will be fine. I am going to dry hop 3 days before bottling, I have no mosaic though. I do have around 50 grams of galaxy, 50 grams of cascade, and 100 grams of simcoe. I was thinking of dumping the half the galaxy and half the cascade in (it is a 20 litre brew). But I only want to compliment the mosaic, will this do the trick?

I’m interested to see how it turns out for you I personally can’t help you on this one but I have done the bearded dragon Aus pale ale from the same company and I didn’t bother dry hopping the first one as I was interested in trying it without any extra hops the next one I do will either be the Citra or mosaic xpa so I’ll be keen to see how you progress

Cascade and mosaic are great together. Just finished drinking a batch of pirate life pale ale copy that used both. And it was tasty.

For some reason I’m not huge on galaxy in general. It’s neevr my go to. The beers o have made with it I haven’t enjoyed as much as others so I don’t use it. Just personal preference though. Sure some of it will be fine too.

50g Simcoe
50g Galaxy

Simcoe is the mother or Mosaic by lineage and Galaxy is great for aroma.

Some people don't like Galaxy.. they're entitled to their (wrong) opinion :p
Personally, I love it - particularly in big doses in a NEIPA

Try out half the galaxy and see what you think. You can always add more next time, if you liked it.
All those hops are great together, you won't go wrong no matter what you do.
If it were me, I'd do ~25g of each hop.

Thanks all! Will keep you updated!

A further question, first time using the glad wrap. Big fan, but letting it sit for two weeks, is that OK? The carbon-dioxide has seemed to escape as there is no pressure on the film. I mean, it all looks okay, and my taste on Saturday was good, so maybe I am worrying over nothing?

Worrying over nothing, there'll be a layer of CO2 to protect it.

EDIT: But of course don't leave it too long. Two weeks will be fine though.

Last edited:
To my tastes a Galaxy dry hop went beautifully with Mosaic in an APA doses and again in a huge NEIPA (also had Riwaka). Peachy. Dry hopping with Cascade for only a day or two, which extracts plenty of aroma but some claim leaves little time for biotransformation (??), brings out floral aromas. The one time I tried a Cascade dry hop with Mosaic two tasters and I did not like the brew 2-3 weeks after bottling, but did after 5-6.

Has anyone here tried Kohatu with Mosaic? That's on my agenda.

Latest posts

Back