Morgans Premium Lager Yeast, what strain?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've got a couple of packs of Morgans Premium Lager Yeast 15g packets.
Not the Mauri Yeast that comes under the lid of the Blue Mountain etc tins, this one's European.

Prem-Lag-Yeast-Sachet-150x150.jpg

They also do a German Lager yeast from Weihenstephan so that's got to be W34/70

On the Premium Lager Yeast pack they state that it's used by Western European brewers so by elimination I'd say that it would have to be S-23.

Anyone used it? I'm thinking of doing a couple of Pale Continental lagers shortly and mature them for the forthcoming comp season.

I've just put on a lager with this yeast and unfortunately the temp is around 25°c.

Do you think it'll still be drinkable at this temp? What are the flavours like at these temps?

Any chance of getting it down to maybe 19 with wet towels / frozen bottles etc? Most lager yeasts will still do a reasonable drop at those temperatures.

I've just moved house (living with the in-laws for a few months) so I'm already kind of walking on eggshells. When we were at our old place, I'd put in in the laundry sink with a bag of ice and then rotate a couple frozen bottles of water and it worked perfectly.

But unfortunately here, it's just sitting in a hot garage.
I'm hindsight I should have added a us05 instead.
I could still add one, or perhaps a kit yeast or 2?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

I know with wheat yeasts you get the bananery flavours, but no one really mentions what the actual flavours are from lager yeast at high temps?

Yeah maybe a kit yeast might take over the fermentation. Probably going to get a fruity Blonde ale whichever way you go :)

All good. As long as it doesn't give off flavours

As far as I know Morgan's Premium Lager Yeast is a dried version of W 34/70 available from the yeast library maintained by the brewing university at Weihenstephan, along with a bunch of other yeasts. I think the Yeast Lab is now a spinoff business from the uni.
There is no indication (outside the speculation on home brewing forums) that it is or ever was the or a yeast used at the Weihenstephan Brewery, the two have been totally separate for quite a long time. All institutions that teach brewing maintain yeast libraries, VLB in Berlin has a big one, there is also the National Yeast Archive in the UK with over 20,000 Ale yeasts in storage, the list goes on.
S-23 was sourced from the VLB yeast library, that doesn't mean its a north German yeast.

Mark

Yeah i recently did a American Barleywine with Morgans American Ale Yeast which i'm told is just repackaged US05, first time i've ever used this product before. I was after the Wyeast American Ale II 1272 but my LHBS didn't have it in stock.

Back