Morgan's Blue Mountain Lager Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The instructions state that it has been roll boiled and if you boil again it will destroy the hop aroma. I have read that they use a Hallertau hop oil in these cans. It must do something to the oil????

The instructions state that it has been roll boiled and if you boil again it will destroy the hop aroma. I have read that they use a Hallertau hop oil in these cans. It must do something to the oil????

Its been a much discussed argument whether boiling the worts has much impact on either the malts in the wort or the hops in the wort. It will probably take out some hop aromas. Bitterness ? Dunno. If you do boil add more hops for aroma. I find if I'm adding extra malt, I want more hops anyway to keep at the least the same bitterness levels. Why you boiling it anyway ?

If I'm using a kit I usually bring it up to a boil to kill off any bugs, more recently I've been mashing about 2kg of grain and after bringing that to a boil for 5 min (again to kill off any bugs) than turn off heat and dissolve kit and any other adjunct into solution.

My lesson was learnt and I always read labels of kits before I do anything nowadays.

Dave

I was thinking that doing a short boil should be okay and it will allow you the flexibility of adding hops to your wort. Just boil enough to kill any bacteria off.

Only brewed this guy once and didn't bother reading the label properly. Only afterwards did I notice the instructions not to boil the kit (which I of course did), I believe it is because they used some method of late hopping the kit I believe.

Anyone know why your not suppose to boil this particular kit. I checked with the east india pale ale kit and they make no mention of not boiling the kit so it might be limited to the BML kit.

Dave

I think it says on the can dont boil it because they have tried to get the flavour/bittering right before you make it blah blah blah. boiling it will reduce the bitternes I think. Their kits do seem ok tho, the royal oak amber ale stuff is nice and it says dont boil the kit on the can (dont boil the can on the kit?), I think it even says dont put boiling water in, use hot tap water so as not to ruin the taste. I think the morgans kits make better beer than coopers kits tho, not so much tin twang...

I had though that boiling will increase the bitterness but will reduce the flavour/aroma?

Yeah thats true. The longer you boil the more you break down the oils that give aroma and flavour. Aroma will generally be driven off after just 5 min of boiling and flavour about the 30 min mark of boiling, leaving mainly just the bittering which will continue to increase the longer it is boiled.

I am brewing one up now, according to the instructions under the cap, you add 4 ltrs of water at about
75 'C.

Yeah thats true. The longer you boil the more you break down the oils that give aroma and flavour. Aroma will generally be driven off after just 5 min of boiling and flavour about the 30 min mark of boiling, leaving mainly just the bittering which will continue to increase the longer it is boiled.

Is that in reference to the boiling of the kit or just hops?

I had though that boiling will increase the bitterness but will reduce the flavour/aroma?

I have noticed that heat can make the light malt darker. The pic that was shown before looks like the tin has been heated up.

Totally understandable ... personally, I don't understand what Morgan's think sometimes ... they put a lager yeast on the Blue Mountains, but an ale yeast on the Saaz Pilsner ... go figure!

I have a tin in front of me with a Lager yeast in it.

Totally understandable ... personally, I don't understand what Morgan's think sometimes ... they put a lager yeast on the Blue Mountains, but an ale yeast on the Saaz Pilsner ... go figure!

Has anyone tried brewing this kit with an ale yeast? If so, how did it turn out? CAn you see any problems with doing this?
I want to try this kit but can't get the temps low enough yet.

If you wont to use an ale yeast, I'd recommend us-05, Its more neutral and cleaner tasting than the s-04 yeast. Haven't used any of the liquid types sorry so I don't know what they're like. Don't see a prob with using an ale yeast with the kit.

Plus getting the ideal temp for us-05 will be easy in this weather.

Dave

I have noticed that heat can make the light malt darker. The pic that was shown before looks like the tin has been heated up.

Yes, it has been heated up using cool water. And it is has been sitting on the water for about 5 - 10 minutes.
I think it will take much longer that to darken till it looks like that!

Has anyone tried brewing this kit with an ale yeast? If so, how did it turn out? CAn you see any problems with doing this?
I want to try this kit but can't get the temps low enough yet.

I am doing this with the Ringwood Ale Yeast. Hope it will turn out okay.

I am doing this with the Ringwood Ale Yeast. Hope it will turn out okay.

Close to bottling my 1st Bluey made as post #6
Took SG yesterday and smelt strongly of bubblegum
Anyone experienced this? tastes OK no hint of anything sour or infection.
Searched Bubblegum seemed to more common with wheats
DAZ

I have this aromatic but very sweet smell from it too.
Did a little sample taste, no sourish flavours and it taste very crisp.
What's the alcohol content you have, DKS?

I have this aromatic but very sweet smell from it too.
Did a little sample taste, no sourish flavours and it taste very crisp.
What's the alcohol content you have, DKS?

Solidghost
Been out all day Ill take another reading tonight and post later.

Daz.

Solidghost
Been out all day Ill take another reading tonight and post later.

Daz.

Hi Solidghost,
Got onto it eventually. Shes finished at 1.010. Started at 1.048. If I've worked it out right should be 5% alc. Had a kilo of dextrose and some DME and corn syrup in there
The strong bubble gum smell has all but gone as well. As previous post suggests this kit uses Maurivin 497 yeast, one I dont think I've used before. I thought this may have been the reason for the smell but it didnt seem prominent in posts of Blue Mt kits. Anyway I'll bottle it Wednesday arvo and see how it goes. Next Blue I'll use a different yeast.

Daz.

Yes, the yeast provided seemed to be the Mauribrew yeast.
I had only used DME (lager malt) and the Ringwood Ale yeast for the brew and it has a gravity of 1.016 at the end. Two weeks in the fermenter. But I am still not sure whether it had completed fermenting but there don't seem to be any change to the gravity so I bottled it. Tasted okay to me. But I was expecting something way more crisp than that. Perhaps the yeast was the wrong type for this beer.

Back