More Friggin Infectionshad To Toss Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A brand new cube still has potential to harbour something that could cause infection, even factory workers fart & pick their noses. Next time you get one you may as well pop out the lid seal as QldKev suggests. One more thing to eliminate.

i have just discovered something interesting with my infected cube of beer, i went to throw it out this morning and decided to put some in the hydrometer, .

now the og of this beer was 1042,screwtops JSGA clone.
after testing it i thought with the infection and possible wild yeast i thought the gravity would be down substantially.

i was surprised when the gravity read the same ,1042, does this mean that it wasnt a wild yeast infection and the infection that it has does not eat the sugars etc.
do all infections chomp away on the sugars.
if the infection gets hold and doesnt bring down the sg what types of infections are they

are there different categories that effect gravity and ones that dont, what are they.

fergi

040.jpg

013.jpg

i have just discovered something interesting with my infected cube of beer, i went to throw it out this morning and decided to put some in the hydrometer, .

now the og of this beer was 1042,screwtops JSGA clone.
after testing it i thought with the infection and possible wild yeast i thought the gravity would be down substantially.

i was surprised when the gravity read the same ,1042, does this mean that it wasnt a wild yeast infection and the infection that it has does not eat the sugars etc.
do all infections chomp away on the sugars.
if the infection gets hold and doesnt bring down the sg what types of infections are they

are there different categories that effect gravity and ones that dont, what are they.

fergi

Not all wild yeast reduce gravity. If you have a pH meter, test the pH. Abnormal beer pH (<4 or above >4.5) can help identify an infection or fermentation problems.

Could you place the cube upside down with the lid submerged in a container of starsan?
That way as it cools it would only suck small amounts of sanitizing solution not air. This would only be necessary until it reaches ambient temperature.
Just trying to think out side the box/cube.

Cheers
Chris

well i have given the whole brew system a really thorough clean, not that i found anything but just did it anyway.

now i have done another brew and have it fermenting,

will know in a few days if i have stopped the dreaded infections.
fergi

good luck it will be a real disappointment if it happens again.

Latest posts

Back