More Beer! Heated and Cooled Conical Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You realise that the "heated and cooled" conical fermenter is, in fact, both heated AND cooled, eliminating the need to fit it in a fridge?

Seems like a lot of money for something that looks like a wonky BBQ.

I don't feel I've ever seen a product that came anywhere close to taking me away from an old fridge, a reptile heat mat and a $10 plastic bucket but one day, one day.

Hey McFeast, did u actually read the add before u posted it?

It's a pretty flash fermenter for the home brewer. If your full of $$$ there are better options about for cheaper.

Yeah Shaunous. I thought it was pretty cool so figured I'd ask of anyone's experience or thoughts. If i was full of dollars, i'd cut to the chase and buy Stone and Wood.
Happy to hear of your favourite alternative mate. I've got a tempmate waiting to be wired up..

We'll you don't want a flash fermenter that is self temp regulating then, just use a fridge and a temp-mate wired by your quality electrician and away you go. Have a search around for temperature controlled on the forum. Plenty of info.

Cheers....

McFeast said:
Any of you guys seen or own one of these?

http://morebeer.com/category/morebeer-heated-cooled-conicals.html

smallest is about 1800 bucks. which is for 25 odd litres.

What do you think? worth moving to conical? would be hard to fit in the fridge for temp control though.

Cheers.
Not quite. $1800USD + $213USD shipping = $2013USD, or $2145AUD, plus 10% GST = around $2350.

There's an extra $500 you haven't accounted for, sorry to say. And you'd need to make sure it works on Australian voltage.

There's also the possibility of being hit with Duties, and God forbid something went wrong with the unit and you had to invoke warranty!

There's no GST in the states but that still doesn't make the wonky bbq any less expensive. I can't imagine two fans running off what looks like two laptop power cables would be enough to ferment a lager in the middle of summer either :)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no GST in the USA, but there is in Australia for imports like this valued over $1,500.

Anything $1000 or over, in value, coming into Australia will get hit with GST.

Only 20% of goods coming into Australia are checked, so you have a 5 to 1 chance of it being pulled up, I have never paid duty or GST and everything I have imported has been over a $1000.
As for the fermenter's they are well over priced for about $3500 you can get a 50L mash tun/ boiler with 2 fermenter's heat exchanger and ice water unit all automated from China.

MoreBeer won't ship the heated/cooled Conicals to Australia (or internationally) due to previous problems with the Peltier chips in transport. Excuse sounded kind of flimsy to me, but they did say that if you use a freight forwarder in the USA they can ship to them - and the forwarder ships to Australia. Having used a freight forwarder for a set of coilovers for my RX7 from the USA previously, I'm really against doing that again - hidden fees, charges, duty yadda yadda yadda.

If you wanted the standard non-heated/cooled conicals, the 7.5g/28L is $212 USD to ship to Adelaide and the 14g/52L is $252 USD, again to Adelaide - probably not much different to eastern states.

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we are unable to ship the heated and cooled conicals internationally. However, we are able to ship them to a freight forwarder in the US. As soon as a freight forwarder is sourced, please let us know their address and we can calculate a shipping cost to that address. The 27 gal heated and cooled conical must ship on its own pallet, 140 lb. The 14 gal heated and cooled conical ships in two boxes: 27x25x24" 38lb, second is 23x18x18" 36lb. Please let me know if you have further questions or concerns.
That is only for the heated and cooled conicals. The chips on them are very sensitive and we have had many of the chips break when we ship direct to an international customer. Also, we are unable to freight items internationally and the 27 gal heated and cooled must ship freight.

We are able to send the stainless conicals internationally (except for Blichmann conicals since that company does not ship internationally)
So there's some info from my emails with MoreBeer which may be of help.

MoreBeer won't ship Blichmann conicals to Australia - as it's actually Blichmann doing the shipping on those (drop shipping).

I'm yet to contact BrewersHardware about theirs, however the size and shape of those will probably mean they're not able to be shipped here also.

I am compiling a spreadsheet of conicals to work out the best value one to go for - so far the Blichmann Pro's from iBrew are the most attractive, but I'm still waiting on a quote for the shipping price from Qld to SA. My requirements are all tri-clover, and at least 80L. Anything smaller or with threaded fittings is a waste of time. Unsure how I'll manage the temps as yet without building a custom enclosure.

On the surface it's a lot of effort and expense just to make harvesting yeast, dumping trub and dry-hopping easier, plus true sealed transfers.

wide eyed and legless said:
Only 20% of goods coming into Australia are checked, so you have a 5 to 1 chance of it being pulled up, I have never paid duty or GST and everything I have imported has been over a $1000.
As for the fermenter's they are well over priced for about $3500 you can get a 50L mash tun/ boiler with 2 fermenter's heat exchanger and ice water unit all automated from China.
Can you post the source of this information please?

vortex said:
I'm yet to contact BrewersHardware about theirs, however the size and shape of those will probably mean they're not able to be shipped here also.
$750 USD. Derrin (owner of BrewersHardware) suggested I not bother :) They're investigating other options for shipping down here though, and he said he'd let me know once they had more information and a cheaper shipping source.

vortex said:
Can you post the source of this information please?
I'm a customs broker and I can tell you now that is simply not true. Everything over 1000AUD needs to be declared on an import declaration.

As far as GST goes, it is determined on the cost, freight, insurance, and duty.

MAX POWER said:
I'm a customs broker and I can tell you now that is simply not true. Everything over 1000AUD needs to be declared on an import declaration.

I think vortex was after info on the mashtun/etc from China.

and wide eyed and legless was saying don't fill in the form as they only pick up 1 in 5

Yeh, everything most Aussie's import is $999 or lower, just lucky I guess.

MAX POWER said:

Then add local port/handling fees if shipping, well by ship.
Nev

Like a lot of things people seem to say, not true. GST and duty goes on the declared value, if over $1000au it will certainly be hit with 10% GST on the goods and 5% duty on the value of the total shipment (ie goods + shipping).

Latest posts

Back