Conical fermenter cooling

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dnolan01

Reaction score
Hi guys I am currently roughing out some plans to build a conical fermenter, I plan on running 60l all grain batches with a mate and splitting the spoils after fermentation, my question is at 60l the conical fermenter will become quiet large, heavy and require some decent cooling I am looking at pros and cons of just man handling the beast into a large fridge with temp control or building a stainless cooling coil into the fermenter and trying to run a water cooled reservoir in a freezer with pump and temp control. I know I could build 2x small 30l that fit the fridge bill as well but hey I like the idea of a freestanding 60l vessels I can look at my reflection in lol. Pros and cons, can I keep it cool 26-35deg here in Brisbane, am I wasting my time keep/it/simple/stupid.

Cheers fellas
Dale

The diy setup can get costly fast, and I’m the end a basic fridge will insulate better than any pumped coolant setup.

I have a pumped coolant setup - a maxi cooker running ice water in an exterior coil.

Expensive, and would be outperformed by a fridge if I could get one that it fit into

Yea I’m now considering having it in a fridge and just setting up a good fluid transfer system, so the fv only gets moved or shuffled around empty.

Plug first: https://aussiehomebrewer.com/thread...tank-commercial-skope-fridge-melbourne.99505/

The fridge method allows me to cool beer down to about 1.5 degrees, something I'm struggling with on my glycol setup although I'm sure I'll get it dialled in eventually.

I do lift the tank in and out when it's empty but I pump the wort in once it's chilled.
The conical route can get very expensive quickly. Assuming you can get the actual tank built on the cheap you still have to fork out a lot for fittings.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back