Monster Mill Shaft Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clatty

Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am upgrading my mill. I'm hoping this one lasts a lifetime.

I am looking for some advice on connecting my MM3 shaft to a gearbox with a 25mm hollow bore?

So basically its got to go from 25mm to half inch (12.7mm). :blink:

What would you use?

Much appreciated :icon_cheers:

SANY1152.JPGSANY1166.JPG

Looks like a bit of over kill there but you would need to talk to a machinist to have a shaft made up. Good luck
Cheers Greg

Looks like a bit of over kill there but you would need to talk to a machinist to have a shaft made up. Good luck
Cheers Greg

Yeah probably is greg but i got everything cheap except for the mill.

So get a custom shaft made up that goes from 25mm to half inch and then a coupling between the custom shaft and the MM3 shaft?

Cheers for the advice
clatty

I thought you might go dirrect drive but if you want a cusioning coupling you would want one @1' a 1' shaft with key way to go between the two then your cusioning block and a 1/2' coupling but you will have to ensure that the 1' shaft is fixed inside the hollow tube not having dealt with these gear boxes b4 am unsure how to do it. May be a tight fit and some lock tight would do it or have a circlip groove machined into the shaft to stop it from disapearing into the gearbox and ensure there is a bit of pre load on the cusioning block. I hope these ideas have helped
Cheers Greg :D I am assuming that you can get coupling blocks to suit the same coupling in 1/2 and1' but if not you will need the shaft as you stated last post

Bloke I did a quick search for Lovejoy Spider Couplers and this return came back with both the couplers as well as shaft adaptors so hopefully you may have some luck :)
Cheers
Doug

Whatever you end up using to couple the mil and gearbox, be sure there is slip or shear protection. Malt is not always clean, occasionally foreign objects like small stones, screws etc end up in the grain, you want your rollers to stop should this cause a jam.

This is why most use belt drive. Maybe you could work out a 1:1 belt drive. Two pulleys the same diameter, one to fit a 25mm shaft and the other 1/2"

Screwy

Or you might even decide to shove a coathanger in there while it's running :lol: .
(Sorry Tony but I couldn't help myself).

Whatever you end up using to couple the mil and gearbox, be sure there is slip or shear protection. Malt is not always clean, occasionally foreign objects like small stones, screws etc end up in the grain, you want your rollers to stop should this cause a jam.

This is why most use belt drive. Maybe you could work out a 1:1 belt drive. Two pulleys the same diameter, one to fit a 25mm shaft and the other 1/2"

Screwy

Screwy

Good point BLOODY farmers.
Greg :lol: Looks like that motor could rip mill apart if jamed

Or you might even decide to shove a coathanger in there while it's running :lol: .
(Sorry Tony but I couldn't help myself).

Hey, I think I must have been blinded by "grain rage" and you will be happy to know, I've never been within cooee a mill with a coathanger in my hand since LOL. With regard to the coupling, I'll give a big +1 to Screwies idea of the 1-1 pulleys, you need some kind of ability to slip there and that motor and gearbox looks like it could run a winch.

cheers

Browndog

Don't listen to everyone else, that motor looks puny and gutless and will just give you problems and stalling, you should look around for something bigger :p

I took a peek in the room behind the one where Sammus is grinding his grain and found his motor setup:
96602956.lowres.jpeg

Looks like it will just about do the job.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Nah that's the old one, it couldn't start my mill loaded with 100 tonne of granite rocks, which I thought I might need to do one day, so I upgraded it to this turbo 2 stroke inline 12 deisel powerhouse. 102rpm direct drive, perfect :) Click the pic for details.

Thanks for the input guys. Lots to think about.

The motor is only 3/4 HP geared down 15:1 to 93 RPM @ 46Nm. I would have thought that to be a little overkill but not that bad.

What if I make the coupling the weakest link just to be sure? I'll confirm this by running some tests with browndogs coathanger method :lol: .

Cheers guys.

Nah that's the old one, it couldn't start my mill loaded with 100 tonne of granite rocks, which I thought I might need to do one day, so I upgraded it to this turbo 2 stroke inline 12 deisel powerhouse. Click the pic for details.

You reckon' it will fit in my VW?

Thanks for the input guys. Lots to think about.

The motor is only 3/4 HP geared down 15:1 to 93 RPM @ 46Nm. I would have thought that to be a little overkill but not that bad.

What if I make the coupling the weakest link just to be sure? I'll confirm this by running some tests with browndogs coathanger method :lol: .

Cheers guys.

mate that much grunt you could mill any other mill (bar a millmaster :p)

Nah that's the old one, it couldn't start my mill loaded with 100 tonne of granite rocks, which I thought I might need to do one day, so I upgraded it to this turbo 2 stroke inline 12 deisel powerhouse. 102rpm direct drive, perfect :) Click the pic for details.

Fffn awsome engine but whats with japs quoting sizes in inches and feet? I reckon I could sit a coupe of v8s on one piston of this thing.thanks sammus
Greg

102 RPM - Pah

At the other end of the scale - Im working on a Sulzer turbine project at the moment - at full production we will achieve 4,800 rps.

I reckon one of MM's finest on the end of that would see you right.

For dust.

RM

edit spelling

Latest posts

Back