Monster Mill Problems

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have a MM3 and mill grain for 25 - 30 brews each year. Had this problem a couple of times early on when I started milling for double batches, here is what I have done since without a problem. Start the mill running (I use a variable speed drill with revs set low), then tip a small amount of grain into the hopper to get the rollers going, add a little more and then add the remainder. It seems a lot of grain weight pressing on the rollers may make the it difficult for the idle roller to turn in the bush after sitting for some time. I usually give them a spin prior to milling anyway, but when the hopper is full sometimes if you miss the start and don't get the idlers going, then you have to tip out the hopper and start over. Have tried a few other methods, this works for me, be sure the mill is running then tip in a cupfull or so, slowly add to this to keep the rollers turning then add the remainder.

Rollers/knurling is cleaned periodically, imagine some fine grain dust finds it's way into the bushes so not surprised the mill doesn't run like it did when new. Overall very happy with mine.

Screwy

I had the mill sides too tightly screwed to the bench and the non-powered roller would not turn smoothly

I think clatty has a genuine solution here also. When I attached mine to a base this happened early on. If the sides are not perfectly at 90 degrees the idle roller will stick. Tighten the bolts so they are "just" tight enough.

Warren -

Have a MM3 and mill grain for 25 - 30 brews each year. Had this problem a couple of times early on when I started milling for double batches, here is what I have done since without a problem. Start the mill running (I use a variable speed drill with revs set low), then tip a small amount of grain into the hopper to get the rollers going, add a little more and then add the remainder. It seems a lot of grain weight pressing on the rollers may make the it difficult for the idle roller to turn in the bush after sitting for some time. I usually give them a spin prior to milling anyway, but when the hopper is full sometimes if you miss the start and don't get the idlers going, then you have to tip out the hopper and start over. Have tried a few other methods, this works for me, be sure the mill is running then tip in a cupfull or so, slowly add to this to keep the rollers turning then add the remainder.

Rollers/knurling is cleaned periodically, imagine some fine grain dust finds it's way into the bushes so not surprised the mill doesn't run like it did when new. Overall very happy with mine.

Screwy

Im the same as Screwy, I dont have a MM3 but a Home Made job with 2 inch rollers and not a course knurl, only 1 roller is powered by a 2 speed drill so the other roller is free spinning... When I first started using it, I would load the hopper up with 5kg of Grain, start the drill and nothing would happen(pain in the arse :angry: ), even tried wetting the grain and still nothing... I would have to try move the stationary roller with my hand to catch some grain between the 2 to get the rollers started... Still didnt work... :(

So, I 1 day just put in about 500gr of grain and started the drill and yippy :D , the grain started milling, once it had started I would fill the hopper and it would keep pulling it through no worries.. Have had no dramas since with doing it this way and as Screwy said, the grain load on the rollers was too much and would just jump around and not pull through..

So, maybe just try that???????????

:icon_cheers: CB

you guys have it I reckon - I never thought of that. I guess I am doing something similar. I use a cordless drill on the low gear setting, and while I start with my grain hopper full... I get things going by just running the drill - less than 60rpm - which drags some grain in, then once I hear it crushing properly, I ramp the speed up.

I also have an old water cooler bottle as my hopper - so its not full width on the mill. So there isn't a hell of a lot of grain sitting on the rollers and a few stray ones at the side can work their way down into the gap and get things rolling.

TB

edit - spelling

My Marga mod / home made version died yesterday ... p!$$ed off to say the least. I was about 80% through! Has anyone heard back from MM re these problems? I was thinking about buying one - if I sell my 4WD - but I might have to wait :unsure:

I'm so glad this thread exists. I've just spent close to 45 minutes cracking the shits with my mm3 thinking why the hell isn't it milling. The answer was in the thread. Just needed to be loosened where the mill is attached to the base and holy snappin duck shit it worked. Relief.

I didn't know this thread did exist but had the same problem from the very first attempt. However I loosened the thumbscrews a little and that fixed it with a full 10kg of gran sitting on top. Mind you that's over a small area of feed in, about 2 inch diameter. I also run a slow 100 RPM to start with then ramp up to my max of about 160.

After reading all the other responses I think I'm bound to have the same issue again but hopefully not.

Zwickel has your solution stood the test of time?

cheers

Ciro

I exclusively have problems with my mm3 after I turn it upside down to brush off the rollers. Any grain material against the non driven rollers will cause it to jam when trying to start. It will not necessarily be immediately after cleaning as some material can lurk up in the hopper, and rattle down through a few uses. If I don't turn upside down = no problem.

My problem recently has been one of the thumbscrews were coming loose and whole grains were dropping through as the 2nd roller became off square.

Reset and tightened with pliers.

Last brew day, worked for about 50% of the hopper. Had to flick drill in reverse then back into normal running to do the rest of the grain. The 2nd roller just stops at certain times during milling with a small gap for BIAB. I think it is getting jammed. The reverse trick, well does the trick. :p

I have MM2.0 stainless and drive it with an Ozito Spade Handle drill (recommended drill motor it owns! - so long as chuck is tightened sufficiently).

Cheers,
D80

Latest posts

Back