Monster Imperial IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 103868

Reaction score
In every keen brewer lies a beast. Between its rumbling throat snarls, it bares its glistening teeth, gnawing and yearning to escape. This recipe is that monster you've been waiting to brew! Appropriately named due to a wickedly drinkable ABV% and a scary amount of hops additions, The Monster is designed to both impress and beat your palate to a bloody pulp. Unleash your inner desires and brew them if you're not too scared.
  • OG - 1.070
  • FG - 1.013
  • IBU - 100+
  • SRM - 7
  • ABV - 7.4%

Note: Results may vary depending on the types of equipment used. If using the Grainfather, go to grainfather.com to strike water and sparge water calculations. Final batch volumes may vary depending on the brewing system used.

Ingredients for the Monster Imperial IPA

• 5.9kg - Briess 2 Row Base Malt
  • 1kg - Mangrove Jacks Dextrose (add to boil with 10 minutes remaining)
  • 227g - Best Malz Wheat Malt
  • 227g - Simpsons Pale Crystal Malt
  • 90 min - 20g Columbus Hops, 20g Chinook Hops
  • 45 min - 20g Simcoe Hops
  • 30 min - 30g Columbus Hops
  • 15 min - Whirlfloc Tablet
  • 0 min - 50g Centennial Hops, 30g Simcoe Hops, 30g Hops Chinook Hops
  • 2 packets - Fermentis US-05 Ale Yeast 11g
  • Dry Hop - 50g Columbus Hops, 50g Hops Centennial Hops, 50g Hops Simcoe Hops

Instructions

Mash Schedule: 66°c for 90min, then mash out at 75°c for 10 mins. (Optional: add 5.2 pH buffer to strike water)

Lauter/Sparge: Sparge with enough 75°c water to achieve 28L pre-boil volume.

Boil Schedule: Boil for 90 mins adding hops, dextrose and whirlfloc as indicated.

Fermentation: Cool wort to 24°c aerate wort and pitch yeast. Ferment at 19°c for 2 weeks or until yeast activity begins to slow. Rack the beer to a secondary fermenter and add dry hop addition. Allow 7 days in secondary before transfer to allow SG to reach 1.013 and hops to settle. Bottle or keg and allow the beer to mature for 3 - 4 weeks before serving.

(Note: This is a hop-heavy recipe so consider the use of a hop spider in the boil and hops bags in the fermentation for easier transfer and a clearer beer)

The Monster Imperial IPA is a perfect example of the classic style. With its intense hop flavour and aroma, this beer will make any craft beer lover happy. If you’re looking to start brewing your own IPAs, the Monster Imperial IPA is a great place to start. Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

Attachments

• monster_imperial_ipa_i036171__1_copy.jpg
    monster_imperial_ipa_i036171__1_copy.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Very West Coast recipe (CA, not WA). At the current exchange rate, I'd change the base malt. Many would work quite well, but Gladfield's American Ale Malt might come closest.

Good to see WRG (affectionately known as WallyWorld in my household) finally having a presence on AHB.

Has been my go to HB store for a few years now since I've relocated to Geelong. Good selection of grain, the basic equipment you need for most things and a good stock of dry yeast (haven't been for a while, so not sure if they've got liquid yeast yet). Also got some good FWKs for when you're time pressed and haven't got time for a full grain brew.

JD

Good to see WRG (affectionately known as WallyWorld in my household) finally having a presence on AHB.

Has been my go to HB store for a few years now since I've relocated to Geelong. Good selection of grain, the basic equipment you need for most things and a good stock of dry yeast (haven't been for a while, so not sure if they've got liquid yeast yet). Also got some good FWKs for when you're time pressed and haven't got time for a full grain brew.

JD
Hey JD,

I love the new company title, makes us sound like a homebrew theme park haha.
We are launching a bunch of new lines in the home brewing section and working on some amazing basics of brewing content. Lots to be excited about in 2023

You'll have to come down and see Dan and the team in store soon :) - S

Latest posts

Back