Mongolian Madness.....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asher

Junctyard Brewing
Reaction score
Well I got my burners.... the 200,000 BTU ones. They came from morebeer.com and a picture can be seen here http://www.morebeer.com/image.php3?gfx=./images/h210.jpg

Well to cut a long story short. I'm pretty disappointed with them so far. when on high the flame height is huge and quite allot of flame is blown out the sides of the keg. Once turned down they burn with quite a yellow flame sooting up the bottom and sides of the keg. I've ended up blocking of the outer ring of jets with bolts so I can get a blue flame without the flame blowing up the side of the kegs. It still boiled 40 litres of water in 40 mins....
To achieve a rolling boil I'm afraid I'll have to turn the burner down to a point where the flame yellows again though.
In hindsight I 'm thinking the HP burners shown on this list would have been a better choice (except for the caramalisation you can get with the localised direct heat...)

Anyway - more commissioning this weekend. and I'll hopefully have some pics for you by Monday....

Asher for now

Hello Asher - that's unfortunate - these burners look fantastic - like they'd go like a rocket. Maybe someone will have some configuration ideas to help things along.

What are the HP burners you refer to?

cheers
reg

Asher said:
Well I got my burners.... the 200,000 BTU ones. They came from morebeer.com and a picture can be seen here http://www.morebeer.com/image.php3?gfx=./images/h210.jpg

Well to cut a long story short. I'm pretty disappointed with them so far. when on high the flame height is huge and quite allot of flame is blown out the sides of the keg. Once turned down they burn with quite a yellow flame sooting up the bottom and sides of the keg. I've ended up blocking of the outer ring of jets with bolts so I can get a blue flame without the flame blowing up the side of the kegs. It still boiled 40 litres of water in 40 mins....
To achieve a rolling boil I'm afraid I'll have to turn the burner down to a point where the flame yellows again though.
In hindsight I 'm thinking the HP burners shown on this list would have been a better choice (except for the caramalisation you can get with the localised direct heat...)

Anyway - more commissioning this weekend. and I'll hopefully have some pics for you by Monday....

Asher for now
Hey Asher,
I too bought those burners about 3 years ago. Your right, they will always orange flame when they are turned down. I've given up cleaning the bottom of the kettle these days. The do bring my 75 litre boiler up to boil in about 25-30 mins though.
Luckily I only bought one that I swith between HLT and boiler.
I bought mine in Adelaide. The guy told me to not to drop it or it will shatter!
Just something to think about.
cheers
Darren

brewiki. Pics down the bottom.

This comes with a "shroud" but it is held on with three - easy to replace with whatever.

55 MJ - or if you want a two ring version they are more like 90 MJ (from memory).

There are a few posts on a.h.b discussing various options, including pics of mine, and other people's burners.

Here 'tis again:

HPBurner.jpg

A handy feature is the pilot light you can see in the pic.

Chiller has thown down the gauntlet with boil times of his turkey fryer - will post my results from next brew.

I was under the impression that the yellowing was a result of the air mix. What sort of opportunity is there to regulate the mix prior to burning?

I know that when I close the air vents on my 3 ring I get a lot of yellowing....

no adjustment as each nozzle has its own jet. this itself is also a problem, in that a keg with the bas still attached causes a dead zone where the flame circulates around on itself. So the inner nozzles starve a bit for clean air. the HP gas has the air intake further away which could be an advantage.....

If it's dumping soot, then doesn't that also mean it's also producing carbon monoxide? I hope you chaps are all doing this in a nicely ventilated area, if you're gonna die for your craft then make it alcohol and not CO poisoning.

Latest posts

Back