Mold in the bucket lid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lochem

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I may have a small bit of mold forming inside the threads of my 30 ltr bucket. My witbier has been fermenting nicely for 10 days now. It's an all grain brew with fermentis WB-06 yeast and the bubbles are still steady, around every 3 to 4 seconds.

See the photo below- if it indeed is mold forming, what do u recommend? Bottle immediately? 10 days is ok, I guess....but the bubbles are still steady......this one anyway only started at an OG of 1.042 and I want to give it time.

Suggestions please.
Thanks

P.s. sorry the mobile app automatically flips the images.

1396087843030.jpg

Rip the lid off and cover with glad wrap.
Continue on as if nothing happened.

Personally I would allow fermentation to complete and the only way to know this is to measure the gravity; you didn't mention the current gravity. if it is mould the rubber seal should hopefully provide a barrier from your wort. Do not remove the lid when bottling or kegging to reduce the risk of some ending up in your beer.

Yes I measured after posting, og was 1.042 gravity now is at 1.012

I think removing the lid is bad based on that possibility....

Still undecided.

I could always just drain it all into a secondary just to get it out of that bad environment.
I don't necessarily need to bottle.

Agree with above. No real rush, the mold ain't going anywhere. It can't crawl and it'll never get past the seal. I used to get this from time to time when using a lid. Either switch to gladwrap (which can still trap mold) or be more thorough in your cleaning and sanitising. I always spray around the thread with starsan before sealing.

I've had the same problem on a number of ferments and found no real problem as it doesn't seem to get past the seal. I do like the idea of spraying starsan around the seal though, I might try and remember to do that in the future.

Ya alright thanks for the tips guys. I've been spraying throughout but I think this time I could have done better. It was a bit of a messy brew in general.

Cheers
LOCHEM

What that does not kill you makes you stronger .
Disclaimer may **** you up in some horrible way.

Latest posts

Back