Mixing Yeasts

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mercle

Reaction score
Hi,

Im trying a bit of an experiment with using more than one yeast. I have done this before, but didnt really document the yeast strains as they were from 3 different kit beers. I think one was from a coopers kit, another from a Malt Shovel kit, cant remember the other.

I have brewed the beer, and am about to add the yeast(s), but thought I would see if anyone has any opinions on the 3 I have chosen to put together.

The base beer is roughly an American Amber Ale, but I dont have any US-05, or any american type of Wyeast.

Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale
Wyeast 2565 - Klsch
Coopers Ale (from a kit)

I thought this would throw in a few different flavours etc, but it could also turn out to be very wrong!!

whitbread on its own would be perfectly fine for an AAA.

Mixing yeasts can supposedly work. As with any ingredient you add to a beer I'd ask what you expect from each.

I guess I am not really seeking any outcome for this in particular. Its really a beefed up AAA, SG is 1074, and the IBU is around 48.

Whitbread is more aimed at English styled beers, but I do like this yeast in malty beers.
Klsch is obviously more a German style yeast, but according to their website, can be used for American wheat/rye styles. There is no wheat or rye in this beer!
And the coopers is a fairly good all round ale yeast.

I guess there is something in each that I would like to get out of them, so I guess I will just chuck them all in and see how it turns out!

BTW, there is 9 types of hops in this beer, some are very small quantities though, like 2gms. I don't expect to get a lot from these hops

If you have no expectations and are just curious about the result - that's when you just go 'what the hell' and chuck it in and see. No need to ask though - just do it.

I would think it will be hard to define any particular characteristic with 3 yeasts and 9 hops but loads of people make leftovers brews and talk highly of them. Might be a cracker and with no expectations you won't care if it isn't.

I think Batz (?) even has a keg devoted to leftovers from other kegs and reckons it tastes pretty good.

I guess I am not really seeking any outcome for this in particular. Its really a beefed up AAA, SG is 1074, and the IBU is around 48.

Whitbread is more aimed at English styled beers, but I do like this yeast in malty beers.

Whitbread is the yeast used in dogfishhead 90min IPA...an imperial IPA that is as far from english as you can get...

I'd just use the Whitbread in this one, but if you really want to chuck in 2 other yeasts....then go for it...

Cheers
Phil

Well this is pretty much a left over brew.

2 tins of coopers Light
1 tin of coopers amber
30gms of Cluster flowers - 30 mins
30gm Amarillo pellets - 30 mins
19 gms of 7 various other hop flowers from last seasons crop (hallartau, cluster, chinook, mt hood, and others)
10 grams of Amarillo will be used after 1 week ferment.

Then the 3 yeasts - which I have now added.
The Whitbread and Klsch are only 25mls each btw, so not a full smack pack.

Well this is pretty much a left over brew.

2 tins of coopers Light
1 tin of coopers amber
30gms of Cluster flowers - 30 mins
30gm Amarillo pellets - 30 mins
19 gms of 7 various other hop flowers from last seasons crop (hallartau, cluster, chinook, mt hood, and others)
10 grams of Amarillo will be used after 1 week ferment.

Then the 3 yeasts - which I have now added.
The Whitbread and Klsch are only 25mls each btw, so not a full smack pack.
You might want to consider your fermentation temp to control/adjust flavours too.It'll make a difference :beer:

English + German will be interesting.

I always used to use WLP036 Alt and US05 together and used to keep heaps of vials of the stuff, on its own i always find something not quite right with US05.

Hi,

Im trying a bit of an experiment with using more than one yeast. I have done this before, but didnt really document the yeast strains as they were from 3 different kit beers. I think one was from a coopers kit, another from a Malt Shovel kit, cant remember the other.

I have brewed the beer, and am about to add the yeast(s), but thought I would see if anyone has any opinions on the 3 I have chosen to put together.

The base beer is roughly an American Amber Ale, but I dont have any US-05, or any american type of Wyeast.

Wyeast 1099 - Whitbread Ale
Wyeast 2565 - Klsch
Coopers Ale (from a kit)

I thought this would throw in a few different flavours etc, but it could also turn out to be very wrong!!

I don't think it would be wrong but I reckon one of the yeast will dominate the others. Your best bet would be do equal size starters of each so they all have oppurtunity to do there thing. Alternatively split the wort in 3 batches ferment seperately and throw them together at the end.

:icon_cheers:

Tom

If you have no expectations and are just curious about the result - that's when you just go 'what the hell' and chuck it in and see. No need to ask though - just do it.

I would think it will be hard to define any particular characteristic with 3 yeasts and 9 hops but loads of people make leftovers brews and talk highly of them. Might be a cracker and with no expectations you won't care if it isn't.

I think Batz (?) even has a keg devoted to leftovers from other kegs and reckons it tastes pretty good.

The good ol 'Dreg Keg'. A few brewers have them. I brew 25L batches to ensure I get some fill for the dreg keg.

As far as the yeast goes, I think that you would be better off spending the experiment effort with other areas of the brew.

QldKev

Whitbread is the yeast used in dogfishhead 90min IPA...an imperial IPA that is as far from english as you can get...

Cheers
Phil

:icon_offtopic: Out of interest where did you get this bit of info from? - I understood the yeast used is Ringwoods.

Cheers Ross

I have mixed W-34/70 with both S04 (NZ hopped APA) and US05 (Rauch), and fermented at 16 and 15 respectively, both came out quite good and the lager yeast definitely added a crispness that would not have been there with the ale yeast alone. I did find that they needed a while to clean up after themselves, but eventually became very clean. I like your mix DJR.

Re: OP I would expect that your beer will taste better than if you used the kit yeast by itself. I love the Whitbread ester profile, and it would be interesting to see what the kolsch brings to the party. Please post your best tasting notes.

I am unsure about DFH (I recall Ringwood also), but there are definitely US breweries making US pale ales and IPAs with the Dry Whitbread strain because of the awesome flocculation and attenuation profile.

I will certainly post some results once the tasting is underway.

Its good to see that I only pitched approx 3 hours ago now, and its already started bubbling away. I find this interesting as usually none of my brews have kicked off this quickly unless I have done a starter, and dry yeast usually takes 15-20 hours before I see any action.

At least one yeast appears to be viable. Both the liquid yeast smelt fine also. I just hope I don't have a repeat of my Dunkelwizen from a few months ago. I did a 1 liter starter with 3068 Weihenstephan, and it was very active, blew out of the air lock and made a bit of a mess. It turned out OK as it got a first place with the Yarra Valley Brewers comp back in September.

:icon_offtopic: Out of interest where did you get this bit of info from? - I understood the yeast used is Ringwoods.

Cheers Ross

BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes - Page 46

Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Those are all the reasons why I think that it is 1099. Doesn't mean that it is though, just reading those forum posts and from BYO has led me to believe so. 60min is 1187 and from what I hear, 120 is distillers yeast...

Have you actually had a chat with the dogfishhead crew when you were over there Ross?

Cheers
Phil

The recipe I have written down here from the 120min BN show says us05 for primary, then wlp099 to finish it off. I don't remember listening to the entire show so that may be just what the presenters used.

So far the fermentation is going poor. Temps hit 30c yesterday despite my efforts at keeping it cool with a wet towel and a fan blowing onto it. Its still fermenting away though, and the aroma from the airlock just smells like the Amarillo hops. It did look like there was an infection going on through the top of the fermenter, so I took the lid off and it was some of the Amarillo hops that made it through the boil floating on top, smell was fine though.

I have tasted it also and its fine, slightly cidery, but I guess that will happen with the high temp. Its not to bad aroma wise, definite mango taste and aroma. It started at 1072, and has dropped to 1044 in approx 48 hours. Nice bitterness, not to strong, I'm guessing this is from the Cluster and some Chinook that's in there.

I will update again soon.

So far the fermentation is going poor. Temps hit 30c yesterday despite my efforts at keeping it cool with a wet towel and a fan blowing onto it.

Get that bad boy into the laundry trough with some water.. water temps im melbourene are about 22'c (last check) so it will help by itself (change water every few hours), Id get a bag of ice or two as well and be adding ice to the water to get it's temps down..

Dont throw it.. if you have the spare bottles and space to store them, it can get.. better.. with time, my first brew last year, same thing pretty much.. get the temps down, bottle it for 12 months and move on with having learned a bit about temp control..

if you have a thermometer it would be handy when you have the water at the right temps to be able to monitor it and add ice as required when hot.

Good luck
:icon_cheers:

[edit] grammar and clarity

Laundry Trough isnt an option, not wide enough for the fermenter to sin in and stay upright.

It did have a bit of a Chardonnay taste to it 2 days ago, so I pitched some more Klsch yeast 2 days ago (gravity was 1030), and 15gms of Amarillo yesterday. Chardonnay taste has gone, and the aroma is closer to what it should be again. Gravity is now at 1026 and there is still some fermentation happening. Temp is back down to 20c, and has only peaked at 22c since re-pitching.

I think with some new yeast after the heat has saved this beer, and will make it drinkable in the shorter term, rather than letting it age to come good.

I have another yeast experiment in my mind, but this is with Wyeast "Eau De Vie" or Lalvin "ICV K1V-1116". I know these are distilling yeast strains, but that's part of the experiment!!

Back