Missed my hop steep

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMaltyDog

Reaction score
Hi,

I was so busy trying to attempt multiple tasks other than brewing on brew day, I forgot to initiate the hop aroma steep (45g Chinook and 50g Columbus)! Could anyone help with a compensation value I could add to the dry hop?

I am brewing an American amber, it has been in the primary for two weeks and I was going to rack to secondary and dry hop (30g Chinook and 30g Columbus) for 3 days. Should I just add the aroma steep hops in the dry hop?

Thanks

Is a hop tea an option? Keeping in mind that dry hopping only offers aroma, not flavour. Whereas your steep would normally impart more flavour than aroma. At least I think that's the case, happy to be corrected!

Thats the traditional view but in my opinion its bollocks. Its an over simplification when hops chemistry is extremely complex and largely still mysterious.

Many people refer to very late kettle additions as 'aroma additions' because they do impart a lot of aroma, especially for styles that are not usually dry hopped.

But if you cant taste dry hops then your tongue is broken (possibly by too much hops).

I think every step adds flavour and aroma to varying degrees. Flavours and aromas change for every hop variety depending on if they are added at 60, 30, 10, 5, 0 mins of dry hopped at day 5 for 5 days or dry hopped from day 0 for 3 days etc. Dry hoping also increases bitterness. It does not increase the IBU but it does make the beer more perceptively bitter.

I'd be tempted to just chuck the lot in as a dry hop now, mainly because its easier.

Latest posts

Back