Missed Mash Out Temp (too Low)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carboy

Reaction score
Hi,

I've just finished my first double infusion mash, but I missed my mash-out temp by 4 points. I needed 76C but only managed 71.5 ... will the lower mash-out temp make much difference to the finished product ... the beer style is a Oktoberfest/Marzen.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

Hi,

I've just finished my first double infusion mash, but I missed my mash-out temp by 4 points. I needed 76C but only managed 71.5 ... will the lower mash-out temp make much difference to the finished product ... the beer style is a Oktoberfest/Marzen.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Cheers
Carboy :icon_cheers:

You really (apparently) need 78 in the mash so you need to get the water upto 88 to allow for temp drops whilst stirring. My mash our temps are varied every time - I wouldnt stress to be honest.
Cheers
Steve

P.S. The orchids still alive!

No need to worry about it.
Not everyone does a mash out anyway.
From what I understand the idea of a mash out is to denature the enzimes.
In a homebrew situation this is pretty much an unneccessary step as we raise the temp of the wort in the kettle quickly enough that this achieves the same outcome.
I do mash out but many don't and make better beer than me. :(
Cheers
Nige

Its not just to denature everything (alpha works up to 80 iirc), the hotter the mash is, the lower the density of the wort will be, so it will drain out of the grains easier.

Well its a touch more complicated, easiest to think of mash out as stopping the wort from changing past the point you wanted it to be at (balance of fermentable/nonfermentable sugars and dextrins).

80oC is as hot as you can go without encouraging excessive tannin extraction; the wort viscosity lowers as the temperature increases, so it runs more freely, giving better faster lautering and higher extraction.

But I wouldn't stress over a couple of degrees, in fact if you had a large proportion of dark crystal malts in the grist I wouldn't be taking it over 74-5oC at any time.

MHB

Latest posts

Back