Mini Keg refill question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASYLUM_SPIRIT

Reaction score
Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before but I searched and couldn't find an answer. Its probably a stupid question.

I got a mini keg for my birthday from a relative and I recently purchased another 4L empty mini keg so that I can have 2.

In a pinch e.g in between brew days when I would normally fill an empty keg with beer, can i simply open up a few hombrew bottles and carefully empty them into the keg trying to leave any yeast and sediment behind. Then seal up the keg and pressure it as desired.

Can this be done, or would this be a bad idea?

Thanks

If you sanitise the keg appropriately and keep it cold after the transfer then you minimise the risk of any subsequent infection.

Yes it is possible. Yes, it is a good idea. Yes, it will make you cooler to others. Yes, you have more chances of getting laid when you bring a mini keg to the party.

Also keep in mind you have a chance of oxidising the beer.
From what I understand, not a huge problem if you consume within a couple of days.

Yep - as n87 says. Oxidation is your enemy here.

If you want it to last for a while:
- Purge the keg with CO2
- Fill pouring as gently as you can to avoid agitation (siphoning would be even better)
- Purge the headspace with CO2 again.
- Set to serving pressure and enjoy...

mofox1 said:
Yep - as n87 says. Oxidation is your enemy here.

If you want it to last for a while:
- Purge the keg with CO2
- Fill pouring as gently as you can to avoid agitation (siphoning would be even better)
- Purge the headspace with CO2 again.
- Set to serving pressure and enjoy...
Thanks mate

Latest posts

Back