Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No matter what the result, there is clearly a production problem and we shouldn't need to be the one's doing the testing and investigation.

These are meant to be food grade quality and some clearly are not.

Pickling, treating, etc should not be our issue, nor should the cost of doing so.

I've had one mini keg replaced due to it not holding pressure, but unsure if my replacement is the good or bad one out of the two I have.

Guess which one has shown 'rust' marks on the silicone dip tube, poured out black when rinsed and has a metallic rusty taste to the beer if stored for a period of time?

Instead of trying to solve the problem, I think our time would be better spent working out the health implications from drinking out of these. I'm sure the seller wouldn't want a class health case against them and will take the appropriate action to rectify, but I'm more concerned about my health after using these.

Pic 1 is one mini and pics 2&3 are the other.

1490956790894.jpg

1490956808084.jpg

1490956824364.jpg

And sodium percarbonate as an oxidiser might be the worst thing to use.

Yep. And guess what I use to clean......Sodium perc & I normally even store sodium perc in my kegs until I need to fill them

Regarding health risk: This is not advice, but when I asked this today the expert thought not.

But very much agree. It is looking like we know some of the facts now

Bones99 said:
Instead of trying to solve the problem, I think our time would be better spent working out the health implications from drinking out of these. I'm sure the seller wouldn't want a class health case against them and will take the appropriate action to rectify, but I'm more concerned about my health after using these.
if its just rust/iron oxide, I wouldn't be too worried

People would likely consume more from cooking on a slightly rusty cast iron bbq or from inadvertently consuming water from their old hot water system

In minimal quantities, its not a health risk (likely way less of one than the alcohol anyway :) )

I'll choose my most suspect looking keg and fill it with Perc to try and replicate these results.

It is pretty fucked this situation now, but really satisfying that things are making sense all of a sudden.

Disagree with one thing bones, it is everyone's responsibility to figure things out.

Next week will be big, but I've spent a lot more energy on this than I wanted to and have had it.

Time for a beer.

28l7w4m.jpg

Unfortunately your source is misinformed, that's not diagnostic of iron oxide: chromium oxide is strongly ferromagnetic (those of you who are old enough to remember tape audio media may remember that "chrome" tapes commanded a premium).

Similarly the magnetic permeability of the steel itself doesn't necessariy tell you anything: although 300 grade steels are austenitic and thus have magnetic permeabilities near 1 in the annealed state (eg they are apparently non-magnetic), they can form ferrite and / or martensite on cold working, both have much higher permeabilities (eg are apparently magnetic).

So what can SBOB do to confirm iron oxide with his sample?

To be fair, Graham never said Chromium was/wasn't magnetic. I've still got some of those tapes..

Bones99 said:
there is clearly a production problem and we shouldn't need to be the one's doing the testing and investigation
If this were some sort of monopoly we're dealing with, a faceless turd who is clearly ripping off their customer, I'd agree. But we're not; we're dealing with Mark from All Things Home Brew.

Clearly Mark's been duped to some degree by his suppliers. We have the option to leave him to the fate shared by many other importers here in Aus, but is that in our best interests? No, it's in our best interests to do what we can to figure this out (Zorco is doing a fantastic job coordinating root cause analysis btw) so we can ensure availability of sweet, sweet affordable kegs well into the future.

My super High Gravity beer entry is ready, can I send that too?

Sigh - we need a clear way forward with this issue.
If feels like we are going around in circles with, many opinions.
I tend to agree with Bones, there is obviously something wrong with a significant percentage of these units (too many to ignore), and the onus is NOT on us to democratically arrive at some conclusion.
These units (with heads) cost more than a new full size Corny keg, and are too costly to sit on a shelf looking pretty.

It is clear to me. Read the MKIV thread I just posted.

Breathe goodduck, we are only an hour into evidence mode..... on a Friday night.

Until then it was the rice juice story.

I got this, we got this. I'll speak to Mark

Latest posts

Back