Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dae Tripper said:
The beer isn't a pickle, and it is reacting with the metal.
Your right Day Tripper beer isn't a pickle but the reaction of the beer (which is acid) with the ferrous metal which is on the surface of the weld is pickling, the pH of beer is about 4, Citric acid is about 2.5 pH Hydrochloric acid has a pH of 1, its a bit like putting old copper coins into Coca Cola to remove the oxidisation.

peteru said:
The side weld on your bad keg looks a lot like what I can make out in my keg. Black line in the middle of the seam, then shiny area and discolouration on sides of the weld.

I contemplated buying an endoscope just for this, but the cheap ones (around $20-$30) will take weeks to get here. I'm not keen on spending $70+ for a locally sourced one.
I just picked up an inspection mirror for $6 at super cheap auto. Combined with my LED torch which I can focus to a pencil beam. Managed to get a pretty good look in my Ikegger mini keg and the top welds look pretty good.

Could be where the kegs were bought from, the company I was talking to in China emailed me today and told me they are a premier producer and produce 1000 kegs a day under strict quality control, and never has anything like what has eventuated here has ever happened to them.
Still leaning towards the plastic kegs, double wall, 'D' connector, and away you go.

wide eyed and legless said:
Could be where the kegs were bought from, the company I was talking to in China emailed me today and told me they are a premier producer and produce 1000 kegs a day under strict quality control, and never has anything like what has eventuated here has ever happened to them.
Still leaning towards the plastic kegs, double wall, 'D' connector, and away you go.
Questions

Link to the plastic kegs?
Are the able to be disassembled for cleaning or are they one time use or are you thinking some sort of CIP?
What sizes?
What sort of cost?

I seriously considered Stout tanks 1/6th 'D' couple kegs but shipping was prohibitive. (this was when the dollar was at or better than parity) I was then and would still now consider building a CIP keg washer.

Might have to start another thread to cover the plastic kegs MJ, otherwise we will be interfering with what is going on here.
Check out plastic kegs on Alibaba for now.

earle said:
I just picked up an inspection mirror for $6 at super cheap auto. Combined with my LED torch which I can focus to a pencil beam. Managed to get a pretty good look in my Ikegger mini keg and the top welds look pretty good.
That's a good idea. I'll try and get one on my way home.

hotmelt said:
Did any of the kegs with the black slime/dirty rice water have keg lube on the threads?Does keg lube dissolve in beer or starsan?
Another good idea!! I had discounted a reaction between oils and sanitiser / cleaners.

When I get some new StarSan I'll see what happens.

Really appreciate the lateral thinking

Zorco said:
Another good idea!! I had discounted a reaction between oils and sanitiser / cleaners.

When I get some new StarSan I'll see what happens.

Really appreciate the lateral thinking

Perhaps someone put beer into one of them???

Holy shit, these are suppose to be kegs we brewers can use, I personally would expect no less from a corny keg I have been using for 16 plus years. I use sodium perc., phos. acid. any other cleaner in them without a problem. Now keg lube?? Your gotta be kidding me.

Nanny kegs?

Besides all this I'm now happy with mine, but there does seem to be a problem with some others.

Could re-pickling the welds possibly cause a leak? I had to replace my first one (through a re seller) because a tiny leak that took me a long time discover. Seems my replacement may have the black stuff but I have to do the rice test.

So, decided to give my 2 mini kegs a rice-ing and see what came out. Gave them a sodium perc clean, rinse then rice/water shake
I have a 2L and a 5L.. both have been used a handful of times prior

5L looks fine (white liquid, as expected from rice starch)
2L looks like some of those offending images from others (damn)

Going to leave them to dry and repeat again later and see whether the issue re-occurs or not

2samfmd.jpg

Batz said:
Perhaps someone put beer into one of them???

Holy shit, these are suppose to be kegs we brewers can use, I personally would expect no less from a corny keg I have been using for 16 plus years. I use sodium perc., phos. acid. any other cleaner in them without a problem. Now keg lube?? Your gotta be kidding me.

Nanny kegs?

Besides all this I'm now happy with mine, but there does seem to be a problem with some others.
:) I was being funny - but not like that nanny you speak of.

Cheers Batz,

SBOB said:
So, decided to give my 2 mini kegs a rice-ing and see what came out. Gave them a sodium perc clean, rinse then rice/water shake
I have a 2L and a 5L.. both have been used a handful of times prior

5L looks fine (white liquid, as expected from rice starch)
2L looks like some of those offending images from others (damn)

Going to leave them to dry and repeat again later and see whether the issue re-occurs or not

2samfmd.jpg
Got a strong magnet?

Zorco said:
Got a strong magnet?
only my personality ;)

I do have some small neodymium magnets from a stir plate build
Want to see if the suspended stuff is magnetic?

i have a heap of small ones so I'll let you know in a bit

Stuck a bunch in with a couple on the outside to suspend them 3/4 of the way down the glass

Could you get Galvanic corrosion (not sure what its called) from 2 different grades of stainless? I tried 2 big magnets (i cant get them apart) on the keg. It wont stick to anything but I can move the keg when I put it near the handle or the bulk head. Nothing with the keg body.

So, I guess that shows that whatever is suspended in my grey coloured liquid sample is magnetic

Magnets submerged for ~20mins show that black 'stuff' has been attracted to the small magnets in the line

28l7w4m.jpg

Back