Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah I had the exact same issue but wasn't sure if it was the reg, head or disconnect so I sent it back to him to look at. I see Keg king are selling what looks to be same mini reg in the store

technobabble66 said:
Bit ghetto, but we're all systems go.
Nice little 7.5% caraaroma Red Lager:
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1481975234.166131.jpg
I like the element of 'danger' with this set up. :lol:

Barb + silicon option to consider:

The description taken from their website. (I'm no good with plumbing terms)
http://www.lelandgas..._valves_prd.htm

1⁄4” hose barb outlet ISO-7 RP1/8” threaded with O ring.

gallery_39448_1424_284708.jpg

Hi guys, is anyone having success / issues priming directly and dispensing in these mini kegs?

If so, what is your set-up (kegs / how many heads with spears, etc.)?

Cheers,

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
If it's an O ring fitting, why is there tape on it?

Got mine from ikegger and it didn't come with an O ring (or missing?)... hence the tape. Did a soap bubble test, happy to report it's been leak free.
Don't know if he sells them specifically, threw one in when I ordered the SS gas disconnects.

SBOB said:
Well, im kind of glad I am not the only one...
Went through a few bulbs trying to work out what I was doing wrong, so hopefully Mark can identify some simple issue/cause

been playing around with a couple of the faulty regs, I dont know much about how to fix them, I am going to send a couple of them back to the manufacturer so they can stop it from happening in the future and help supply a solution. I will also try get one to Batz, or if someone is in his area with a faulty one and is willing to let him pull it apart, that might be quicker.

after wasting a bunch of bulbs, it seems that the regulator doesn't like to release much if anything if it doesn't have resistance against it, sometimes it will work fine, other times it will release slowly or not at all.

reading through the instructions that came with the regs from the first BB but seemed to be missing from the second, the instructions recommend to have the reg attached to the disconnect but not connected to the post, set the pressure you want then connect it to the post,rather than connecting it and then setting the pressure. doing it this way the needle still moves slowly, but does stop at the pre-set pressure.

All Things Homebrew said:
been playing around with a couple of the faulty regs, I dont know much about how to fix them, I am going to send a couple of them back to the manufacturer so they can stop it from happening in the future and help supply a solution. I will also try get one to Batz, or if someone is in his area with a faulty one and is willing to let him pull it apart, that might be quicker.

after wasting a bunch of bulbs, it seems that the regulator doesn't like to release much if anything if it doesn't have resistance against it, sometimes it will work fine, other times it will release slowly or not at all.

reading through the instructions that came with the regs from the first BB but seemed to be missing from the second, the instructions recommend to have the reg attached to the disconnect but not connected to the post, set the pressure you want then connect it to the post,rather than connecting it and then setting the pressure. doing it this way the needle still moves slowly, but does stop at the pre-set pressure.
are the ones that people are having trouble with the newer version aka the one without the adaptor for the disconnect?

All Things Homebrew said:

I have the original Leland reg for which these seem to be a knock-off. Although I haven't experienced the problem that people have experienced here, I agree with the advice of setting the reg to pressure before connecting to the post. The reason is that with the Leland reg if you connect to the post before the press is set, it will simply vent the keg pressure and if the keg has been transported you risk being covered in beer or getting beer in the reg. So I am not sure it will fix the problems people have mentioned, but it is still a good idea (if they work the same way as the Leland reg).

I find that setting the pressure to pouring pressure then connecting onto keg works well for me, but using the supplied taps is a pita due to no line resistance so they pour way too fast unless you just have minimal gas pressure set , then the next problem is the volume of gas can't keep up with the pour and slows to a trickle plus less carb is held in solution due to this you crank up the pressure and it over pressurises and you get a cup of foam. So it's hard to get a balance with the taps.

If you've transported the mini, it takes some time for the beer to stabilise due to the shaking around, best to transport them to bbqs packed with heaps of ice to keep the beer at close to 0 otherwise if you've filled them up from mains keg at home via counter pressure fill, and the mini warms up even say 3 degrees higher than the beer at home, when pouring at party the co2 will come out of solution fast causing foam and also pressure diff inside the keg, so keep it cold as, packed in ice....

Use a pluto gun, and you'll be in heaven.... I might try a flow control tap, this would work better than the supplied taps, but I love my pluto gun... Especially because with my 5 ltr ones, I can keep the pluto connected and sitting on top of the ice and esky lid shut.

I bought a mini reg, similar but diff coloured nob it's silver from ebay before this bulk buy for 85 bucks and love it. I'm yet to use the one I got in the latest bulk buy as it's like a spare for me. But will give it a run over the Christmas holidays but I suspect it should be ok. I'll give the mini reg I've got from the latest bulk buy a crack this weekend, and leave my other Leland nock off alone to see if there's a diff...

I've found using my pluto gun with half a meter of line with these mini kegs is far superior .plus the carbonation is held in the beer a lot better.

I personally have no issue using the taps etc once I dial it in, but when others are using them, they always have issues.

I've shelved the taps that came with my 4 mini kegs, prob buy another quality pluto gun after Christmas , it's a lot better way to dispense out of these, especially at bbqs when your novice mates get into the beers

Another recommendation I can offer is,

Allways smear o ring lube over your posts on these, if you use a good quality silicone base oring lube, smear it between your fingers then over the posts and oring, each time you take these out for use.
Your posts,orings and more importantly disconnects will love you for it.

You should be lubing up your posts at home kegs all the time as well. I've seen mates setups I've been over to and they are as dry as a nuns nasty and they have all sorts of issues with leaks and disconnects jamming on etc...

I also smear it onto the oring of the ball locks head and also a bit onto the threads of the ball lock, makes for a nice smooth screw down fit.
Lube it , and screw it she'll love ya for it...

I remember back in the 80's when doing my apprenticeship in refrigeration for coke, we always taught the bar girls in pubs about lube on the firestone kegs in the cellar rooms around brissy before coke phased them out to bag and box syrups...those were fun days:)
Just before kegs became fashionable with the homebrew market, I remember standing next to a pile of nearly 50000 kegs before the metal recyclers crushed them. Freaking waste, but I gots some:)

Lube it up guys....every time, your girls will love ya for it..

Coldspace said:
I've shelved the taps that came with my 4 mini kegs, prob buy another quality pluto gun after Christmas , it's a lot better way to dispense out of these, especially at bbqs when your novice mates get into the beers
Same with mine I brought a fridge shank and put it in my fridge. I use that now to sample my crash chilled force carbed beer fresh in 5litre kegs.

But when I take a single 5litre keg with me somewhere my $5bronco tap works a treat.

I just picked up my 5lt from GnG today Can anyone tell me what this part is? Its not in the parts list for the keg or the reg?

1482403293810.jpg

You use that adapter instead when you're using the 74g CO2 cylinder.

Keep it, more options for your rig.

who is stocking the 74g cartridges atm?

Zorco said:

and thats the adapter to use a soda stream bottle as well?

SS bottles on special at bigW for $35 btw.

Zorco said:

and thats the adapter to use a soda stream bottle as well?

SS bottles on special at bigW for $35 btw.

Latest posts

Back