Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This will be my first foray into kegging so I am starting from scratch. I guess it will be a test to see if I like it or prefer washing bottles...................
How did you go? I get my kegs today can't wait!!

No, don't be put off. I have 2 of the 4litre kegs with mini regulator and a tap without flow control. Works great.

sept 5 046.JPG sept 5 047.JPG

I just purchased the 2litre and 4litre kegs, did you have to do any mods to yours or is that standard. Reading some of these comments have got me a little scared that I bought something that doesn't wrk. .. fingers crossed
I just got a tap with flow control on it and just the bog standard tap on the other one. As Grott says works just as well with or without.
The only thing I found that didn't work was when I attempted to take mine to a BYO restaurant my wife wouldn't allow it , said shes not going to sit at a table with a 4 litre keg of beer perched on top of it.

Bloody Hell WEAL, that is cruel and just not on. That would look great. If not allow then your wife should be buying what ever you want to drink regardless of the cost.

You will love them. I set one up in a bag with ice packs and sit in the lounge for the footy or rugby. Get 6 and a bit imperial pints from my 4l and have another ready for more.

I just got a tap with flow control on it and just the bog standard tap on the other one. As Grott says works just as well with or without.
The only thing I found that didn't work was when I attempted to take mine to a BYO restaurant my wife wouldn't allow it , said shes not going to sit at a table with a 4 litre keg of beer perched on top of it.

Tell her to sit at another table. :)

My missus really knocks my socks off these days (we're married so go figure :D )

But last night when I was talking about her cider I said how it'd be good itd be this summer having people over for bbq and being able to put on some beer and cider. She said "wouldn't it be easier in kegs?". So i said I was being smart with money like she asked, and she said "as long as we can restump the house in November you can get some!"

So looks like I'm in the market soon! No idea about them though so I'm trying to read through this thread. If anyone has suggestions on what to start with that'd be great. Ideally I'd like to have a bit of a bar in my shed with some taps popping out. Probably not going to buy a kegerator with 19 litre kegs just yet though. Some of these 8 or 9 litre jobs seem alright though?

I'd recommend you go for the 19L ones. They're actually cheaper ($60-75 second hand) and don't require as much work because you have double quantity in them - not as much cleaning, refilling, etc..

I'd recommend you go for the 19L ones. They're actually cheaper ($60-75 second hand) and don't require as much work because you have double quantity in them - not as much cleaning, refilling, etc..

Plus you could get a chest freezer pretty cheap off gumtree or FB, and set it up pretty easily for 19L kegs - picnic taps or pluto taps or a basic collar with some taps though it. Chesty could be repurposed under a bar and font later down the track.

You will love them. I set one up in a bag with ice packs and sit in the lounge for the footy or rugby. Get 6 and a bit imperial pints from my 4l and have another ready for more.
Do you just set to 10psi and leave for 24 hrs ? I received the kegs yesterday and hoping to fill for tomorrow. Thankyou

I was just thinking that I might be better buying a smaller one in the meantime and saving up for a proper setup in the future.

Do you just set to 10psi and leave for 24 hrs ? I received the kegs yesterday and hoping to fill for tomorrow. Thankyou
10psi for 24hrs won’t be enough (would be around 3 days) so I’d set it up at 30psi and in the morning turn down to dispensing pressure and take a sample for carbonation. If a bit flat still, give it a shake (with gas connected) for say 15 seconds and put back in the fridge, should be right by time you need it. It’s hard to advise under this situation but should work out ok. Let us know end result.

I was just thinking that I might be better buying a smaller one in the meantime and saving up for a proper setup in the future.
I guess it depends on space and how much you drin
10psi for 24hrs won’t be enough (would be around 3 days) so I’d set it up at 30psi and in the morning turn down to dispensing pressure and take a sample for carbonation. If a bit flat still, give it a shake (with gas connected) for say 15 seconds and put back in the fridge, should be right by time you need it. It’s hard to advise under this situation but should work out ok. Let us know end result.
Thanks mate I will do that. I'll let you know how I go. The hardest part is the damn waiting game.

I guess it depends on space and how much you drin

Thanks mate I will do that. I'll let you know how I go. The hardest part is the damn waiting game.

Forgot to say, when you test carbonation make sure you release the 30psi pressure before setting at dispensing pressure. And the wait continues

Forgot to say, when you test carbonation make sure you release the 30psi pressure before setting at dispensing pressure. And the wait continues
Had too much carbonation I think these kegs might be made more for already carbonated beer or something. Or maybe my beer was too warm when I put in keg..

Sorry to hear, just release pressure every now and again to settle it down. Temperature does play a bigger part with these mini kegs.

Sorry to hear, just release pressure every now and again to settle it down. Temperature does play a bigger part with these mini kegs.
I think I'll just carbonate in keg and carbonate from there. Im still drinking this frothy goodness, just takes a little bit of time. Do you normally force carbonate In your mini kegs?

Yes. I chill my 4l mini with beer, down to about 2 degrees then hook up to 30psi and lay keg on its side and roll back and forth for 60 seconds (you can hear the co2 bubbling). Return to fridge and after an hour or so release pressure and hook up to dispensing pressure. I do this early am and it’s all good for pm.

Yes. I chill my 4l mini with beer, down to about 2 degrees then hook up to 30psi and lay keg on its side and roll back and forth for 60 seconds (you can hear the co2 bubbling). Return to fridge and after an hour or so release pressure and hook up to dispensing pressure. I do this early am and it’s all good for pm.
I just pulled apart and washed keg and realized the flow control was missing.. that would explain it.

Latest posts

Back