Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean "18 returns"?

You own 18 kegs?

Forgive me, I don't have memory for things I do procedurally.

Zorco said:
What do you mean "18 returns"?

You own 18 kegs?

Forgive me, I don't have memory for things I do procedurally.
No forgive me, for i don't have the gift of the gab, as you do, but yes 18, 8 from ATHB as BB2 was winding up, & 10 BB4. They do look prurdy though, & love the idea, especially for people like me who don't have, not allowed a beer fridge.

Zorco said:
Perlick Flow Control........

Occasionally some shit happens to you that you can't go back from.....

A king bed, two monitors, sex with two women at once.... Life changing events... And I will tell you that Perlick flow control taps are firmly in this category.. Especially for mini kegs.

Whatever $40-50 you think isn't worth it for these..... just somehow make it happen.... Sell your cat, sell your wife. Get the Flow Control. Wait the extra 3-4 weeks and save that extra few buck.... quit smoking......don't go to the pub that month...... save that coin. Get the flow control Perlick taps.....

Now.... where is my cult thermometer order.... NO! It isn't at that level..... Get the Flow Controls.
I just wanna know where you're getting Perlick FCs for $50!!

....or have I interpreted that wrong, and you're actually referring to the extra $40-50 that you would spend above a normal tap....yeah, probably that one

briby said:
I am waiting for one replacement keg, because of faulty/bad base seam that leaked. I will then return mine in that packaging, but am not paying for 18 returns.
This is one of my beefs....we've ended up with a shonky product, and we have to pay from them to be returned and replaced? Doesn't seem right to me. I know that it's not the fault of the particular seller from the BB that some of the kegs were fucked, but still......

goatchop41 said:
This is one of my beefs....we've ended up with a shonky product, and we have to pay from them to be returned and replaced? Doesn't seem right to me. I know that it's not the fault of the particular seller from the BB that some of the kegs were fucked, but still......
I guess that's the risk attached to bulk buys ad b buy pricing.
Beerkat is organising and covering costs of returns/ replacements. Cant beat buying direct at retail price and service.

This is not afault but a maintenance issue. One of my 4l kegs from the last bulk buy was fairly flat after a force carb two days ago. No pressure in the keg and found the gas post on the spear was only finger tight and leaked slowly. Turned out all posts on my two units needed tightening.

grott said:
This is not afault but a maintenance issue. One of my 4l kegs from the last bulk buy was fairly flat after a force carb two days ago. No pressure in the keg and found the gas post on the spear was only finger tight and leaked slowly. Turned out all posts on my two units needed tightening.
Yeah, those posts actually unscrew very easily. I've them come loose and lose a seal multiple times if I accidentally twist one of the disconnects when it's attached to the post

How's everyone going with BB4 kegs? Bloody impressive concept.

After leaving beer in mine for 3 weeks, the 2L one seems fine, but my two 5L jobbies have definitely given the beer a metallic taste. Only half filled those.

I did a TSP clean and scrubbed the inside as best I could, then a 1.5x star San rinse. Let to dry for a week. Repeated the process with Sodium Perc, a normal star San rinse and to minimise oxygen I ran the starsan out using gas. Half filled with beer in each keg.

Willing to give it another go, has anyone's improved second time round or am I just wishful thinking. Anyone suggest a different process?

Well my 2 x 4l ones are excellent. Had one with a brew in it for a week, the other 2 weeks - both without any off/metallic tastes. The mini gauge (Beerkat) works a treat so I'm happy. I rinse straight after use, soak with sodium percarbonate overnight and rinse with hot water.

Still need to get around to sending my 2l back..
Anyone shipped theirs back to athb yet?

I still haven't either. I'm waiting to find out if the one I got for my bro is also affected before I commit to sending any back. Hope there is no issue with being a bit slow on returns.

clarkie54 said:
How's everyone going with BB4 kegs? Bloody impressive concept.

After leaving beer in mine for 3 weeks, the 2L one seems fine, but my two 5L jobbies have definitely given the beer a metallic taste. Only half filled those.

I did a TSP clean and scrubbed the inside as best I could, then a 1.5x star San rinse. Let to dry for a week. Repeated the process with Sodium Perc, a normal star San rinse and to minimise oxygen I ran the starsan out using gas. Half filled with beer in each keg.

Willing to give it another go, has anyone's improved second time round or am I just wishful thinking. Anyone suggest a different process?
I basically did the same, without scrubbing, as they had no black gunk but did have fluid remaining of differing amounts. So i assume they hadn't been passivated correctly, ie dried and aired for a reasonable time. After my attempt they smell the same as before, have filled a couple but not chilled yet.

Thanks everyone. None of mine showed any signs of blackness.

Interestingly after having half the 2L last night, I attached the mini reg and bulb. Now the 2L is also tasting a bit metallic. I remember the first two pots of one of my 5L's were fine before attaching the reg. didn't think about it at the time. Could the gas be a cause? Sounds odd. Must admit didn't clean the reg, bulb or run cleaning solution through the gas post. Will do that next time.

Will also try boiling water next time instead of starsan as the final rinse.

clarkie54 said:
Thanks everyone. None of mine showed any signs of blackness.

Interestingly after having half the 2L last night, I attached the mini reg and bulb. Now the 2L is also tasting a bit metallic. I remember the first two pots of one of my 5L's were fine before attaching the reg. didn't think about it at the time. Could the gas be a cause? Sounds odd. Must admit didn't clean the reg, bulb or run cleaning solution through the gas post. Will do that next time.

Will also try boiling water next time instead of starsan as the final rinse.
Don't think so, i've been using CO2 bottle, except for the playing around when i first received initial kegs and reg set up, and still have metallic taste. At one stage i thought my taste buds were tuned into metal, but glad i'm not alone.

Yep, I've had metallic taste and darkened beer when only used with normal kegerator CO2. It seems to be a factor of how long the beer spends in the minikeg. The longer it is in there, the more risk you run. Contamination is not apparent if you serve the same day as you fill. It is very noticeable if the beer sits in the minikeg for 4 weeks.

I've been looking at getting one of these mini kegs and I am not sure whether to get a 4 litre or a 5 litre one. What are the pro's and cons of each? Does the 4l fit in the fridge door (it must be tall once the tap is fitted) while the 5l one appears to too big for the door but well sized for an esky. I would buy several in each size if I could afford it but I am only looking at one at this stage.

Is it safe to assume that quality issues were batch related and the Bulk Buys were just unlucky or is it a potential risk from any of the suppliers?

Gmoney said:
I've been looking at getting one of these mini kegs and I am not sure whether to get a 4 litre or a 5 litre one. What are the pro's and cons of each? Does the 4l fit in the fridge door (it must be tall once the tap is fitted) while the 5l one appears to too big for the door but well sized for an esky. I would buy several in each size if I could afford it but I am only looking at one at this stage.

Is it safe to assume that quality issues were batch related and the Bulk Buys were just unlucky or is it a potential risk from any of the suppliers?
I got a 4L for my uncle in law as he wanted one to fit in the house fridge and he could more easily get commercial refills (4L would be 2 growlers). I went for the larger 5L ones because I don't have space concerns in my keg fridge and can homebrew.

My 5L ones were bulk buy (maybe the 2nd?) and his was iKegger, no issues reported on ours.

If your kegging and have 19 litre kegs then the 4l mini is perfect for a 23l fermenter brew. I have 2 x 4l, excellent.

Back