Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long does the beer in these mini kegs last once carbonated generally?

keep it at serving temperature and you can safely say a very long time.
i've left kegs out at ambient for over a year, gassed and serverd and they were still as good as the sample a year ago, changed a bit, some of the more delicate hops aromas and yeast phenols pissed off but providing there is no sleeper infection in there, if you keep it at a low serving temp, you're safe.

I use a 19l keg of uncarbonated ale (purged with co2) to use in transferring to my 4l mini kegs. The 19l is kept at ambient temperature and the mini once filled (close transfer) is chilled then forced carbonated. The 19l could be 10 to 12 weeks before empty depending on requirements. No problems to date and shouldn’t be with top cleaning and sanitation procedures.

IMG_5587.jpg

I've started my own mini kegging set up in a mini fridge. My fridge is too small for a 19l corny so the mini kegs do nicely.

Yes. I chill my 4l mini with beer, down to about 2 degrees then hook up to 30psi and lay keg on its side and roll back and forth for 60 seconds (you can hear the co2 bubbling). Return to fridge and after an hour or so release pressure and hook up to dispensing pressure. I do this early am and it’s all good for pm.
How much head space do you leave in keg for co2? Cheers sorry for all these questions

Yes and no. Sounds funny but in summer sitting outside the 9.5l in an esk setup is handy for a couple of you but the 4l mini are great for a solo session. (But then again so are the 9.5 "seeingstars:). Also I can fit the 2 x 4l in the fridge with the others.

Trying to convince the wife I need kegs and am thinking of going a 5L and a 19L to start with and add onto it as I go. I feel like a keg of raspberry vodka and soda would go a long way in my favour also.

Trying to convince the wife I need kegs and am thinking of going a 5L and a 19L to start with and add onto it as I go. I feel like a keg of raspberry vodka and soda would go a long way in my favour also.
The 5l is a good choice and would prefer to my 4l ones. 2 x 5l will fit into a 33l esky which BigW have on special for $29. Easy set up with tap etc.

The 5l is a good choice and would prefer to my 4l ones. 2 x 5l will fit into a 33l esky which BigW have on special for $29. Easy set up with tap etc.
If i was to get them and use in my kitchen fridge which tap/gas setup is the most suitable? Probably needs to be a bit robust to take a few bumps etc

No affiliation with either but look at sponsors Ikegger site and Beerkat sites. Beerkat I know offers 10% off for members. You will need the tap ( but to cut costs at first, could go with the picnic tap set up ), mini regulator and I’d go with the soda stream adaptor as bulbs work out expensive and get a soda stream cylinder.

No affiliation with either but look at sponsors Ikegger site and Beerkat sites. Beerkat I know offers 10% off for members. You will need the tap ( but to cut costs at first, could go with the picnic tap set up ), mini regulator and I’d go with the soda stream adaptor as bulbs work out expensive and get a soda stream cylinder.

Both sites are crackers. I’ve spoken with the Beerkat folks and they are great with advice and if you’re going to order a few things they may look after you with shipping/split orders. iKegger also offer the Afterpay 4 payment split option - no interest, just a lay-by style operation, but you get the goods upfront. No affiliation with either operation - they just look after people who love beer. Good luck! [emoji3]

Both sites are crackers. I’ve spoken with the Beerkat folks and they are great with advice and if you’re going to order a few things they may look after you with shipping/split orders. iKegger also offer the Afterpay 4 payment split option - no interest, just a lay-by style operation, but you get the goods upfront. No affiliation with either operation - they just look after people who love beer. Good luck! [emoji3]
Before purchasing my beerkat I watched heaps of ikegger youtube vids. They look almost identical. I could be wrong but I think there both the same apart from the logo.

I’d go with the soda stream adaptor as bulbs work out expensive and get a soda stream cylinder.

I'm tossing up between soda stream or a 2.6kg CO2 cylinder from a LHBS. What are people's thoughts on which way to go?

I think I'm going to end up with at least 1 x 19L corny, plus a couple of ~9.5L mini kegs, and maybe a couple of smaller mini kegs ~4L or 5L depending on how it all fits in my fridges.

Soda stream is great for portable setups but you'll pay about $20 for an exchange where you'll pay about $25 to fill the 2.6kg. If you can afford the 2.6kg go that way, you'll make back the difference in cheaper gas in the long run.

Before purchasing my beerkat I watched heaps of ikegger youtube vids. They look almost identical. I could be wrong but I think there both the same apart from the logo.
Yup, all the same. Whatever ideas you have, they're probably trying it out so you don't have to. Until I finish off making the mini bar, my temporary solution is lying down a 5L keg in the kitchen fridge as per their tip.

No affiliation etc... there's 10L ones from ikegger. Looks like it's the same diameter as the 5L, so you could grow the system slowly and utilise the existing accessories.

Latest posts

Back