Mini Keg Discussion / Mods / Show Off - Dedicated Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zorco said:
I wondered if you could cancel your order with ATHB before he shipped, but didn't find you on the MKIV spreadsheet. Was it with Beerkat?
No mate,bought mine direct (Alibaba) then cancelled when all this started going down valves rust etc. As Cian's mate now wants 2 I paid through Alibaba Trade Assurance so it is going to be interesting. But I don't think it will get to that.
Unless you are in China it takes a bit of detective work to get through the fleas (on sellers) and find the dog (manufacturers)
Another point to consider especially after reading Brad's extra magnetic one, could be the S/Steel supplier to the factory slipping in low grade stainless, though it doesn't explain the un pickled kegs.

Zorco said:
There are three so far from Beerkat and two are Liam's. Around the time of MKIII I remember Liam?
Purchased at the same time as the current bulk buy (feb this year) was being organised. They effectively matched the prices with free delivery.
One keg hasn't had beer in it yet, but visually has some issues that others have correlated with changes to flavour. The other keg has made beer taste metallic & undrinkable.

Well, I'm away camping ATM , and dragged my 4 minis down. Previously I've stated that I've had no issues. The longest mine have been filled was about 2 weeks. Tested mine last week all was ok .
Started into 1 keg last night with a rice lager, drank the whole keg , was still good till I got to last couple of schooners where it did have a slight metallic taste and had that metallic yuck sensation in the mouth. Had to tip last out.
I've got 2 more pales to go this week and will report back.
These issues were not around at Christmas and other times I've only used for weekends , but now I'm getting concerned that I will now have to shoot into town and buy a slab lol

I'll do rice test etc when I get home in a week. Hopefully it's only one keg for me out of my 4.

zorco , can you add me to the pm list now.

I've had no issues previously but now one keg is starting to show something??

I'll monitor these other 2 I've got here that have had beer in them for 2 weeks now

All kegs were filled to absolute brim as well.

I'll open this empty one from last night and rub a clean tissue in around it today and report back...

I'm seeing the time domain issue as well.

What if, because of poor metal (need to do that spectro test), EVERY one of the kegs are time bombs.

A prediction we could make is that people buying in the MKIV BB SHOULD experience these symptoms in 9 months time assuming normal use.

From what I see, the spectro test MUST be made on a unit from the MKII bulk buy, MKIII bulk buy and one from this MKIV bulk buy. That will provide valuable data and improve our predictions. Or it is still something else.

Zorco,

I'm not sure if you are placing too much faith in the spectro tests. The results may provide a lot of raw data as to the alloy composition and you'll probably find that it's substandard Chinese steel because it won't match the typical composition of "standard" steel grades. However, such data may not leave you any wiser as to what the actual issue is with the kegs. It could be that the steel composition itself is not a factor worth worrying about and the fault is with the workmanship and surface treatment. Data is good, the more the merrier, but we also need a metallurgist (or a suitably qualified person) to make sense of the results.

Not trying to discourage you from going down that path, but just wanted to point out (mainly for the benefit of others) that having the spectro tests done is not a guaranteed way of getting an answer or a resolution.

Really, that's not what I was lead to believe. A grade / class would be a result. Didn't think a metallurgist was needed; their experts are qualified to determine the material. I don't think it is a spectro for hire joint.

I'll check into it in more detail mate.

I don't have any faith in anything. It's not ever going to be a trait of mine. :)

I'm still a big fan of the idea.

Also, a new piece of data.

The MKIII kegs are the same as the MKII kegs. Mark pulled them from his shop stock to help us!

So, that's significant.

I suspect the way that fridge magnet creates a magnetic field will give you that weak effect on the corners.

The handle section to the main body difference. That looks totally wrong. The video does wonders for communicating.

That has to be the right candidate for spectro.

I'm not sure if we aren't getting a bit lost. I've had the cheap Chinese kegs in 9.5 & 12 litre kegs with absolutely not problems as to what is being experienced here.
Isn't the issue with welding areas, haven't there been discussion about pickling issues?
All I'm saying is should a " defect keg" be taken to a plating factory that deal with the pickling of weld/ weld areas of stainless for an opinion?

I've got two 5L kegs from the MkII (?) buy.

One is fine, and the other had a metallic taste and a slightly dirty grey head.

Not sure if there was a difference in fill, they have had the beer in them for about two months. I reckon the good one is about to blow.

Only had two beers from the grey one, as I changed to the other one to check it out, and well, I'm not going back to the other one until the good one is gone.

Two months? I know, dont worry, they have been a sideline to the main kegs.

The Dubbel is particularly attractive.

Perhaps could I be added to the pm?

grott said:
All I'm saying is should a " defect keg" be taken to a plating factory that deal with the pickling of weld/ weld areas of stainless for an opinion?
I posted a few pages back that my brother in law, who has 20 odd years of experience in fabrication food grade stainless vessels, commercial kitchens etc had a look and said the 1.89L was not true 304 and that passivation/pickling process had failed and hasn't been finished properly on the 5L. Not his exact words but his general opinion was you cant taste 304.

I grabbed my 2l keg after watching your video and mine does exactly the same, though I used a smaller and stronger magnet. It held easily to the bottom parts.

I looked at the metal thickness of the body (pressure vessel) and the handle and there is a significant thickness difference. I suspect the metals are of the same type.

Comparing to the super thick walls of my Firestone kegs, they are magnetic too, especially at the dome and near the welds. But not to the same level as the little one.

Can I please be added to this PM? I have a 5L keg tank (no ball lock head - got stolen). I drank 19L of a very nice pale ale that was legged at the same time as my 5L with the same processes. Ended up tipping the 5L keg after one pot - disgusting taste and colour had changed. It all makes sense after reading a bit here.

damoninja said:
For the price point, a brand new 9, 10 or 12L corny would come in a lot cheaper by the time you factor in the spear etc... a more convenient size in some cases perhaps.

Though the ikegger prices are pretty inflated so I'm sure BK can do it better, then coupled with existing kit might be worth while -_- -_-
Ikegger? Now that is a brand conspicuous by its absence in the rusted kegs saga, maybe the few extra dollars spent could have saved a lot of heart ache in these purchases. Anyone had a problem with Ikegger?

Latest posts

Back