Milton For Sanitising

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewgirl

Reaction score
Hi... I've got a stack of milton tablets that I no longer need for baby bottles, and was wondering if anyone has used them for sanitising their brewing equipment? Its a hospital grade disinfectant, non toxic and doesn't need rinsing. I think if I drained everything well I shouldn't have a problem with it, was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on it.

The active ingredient is Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate (don't ask me to say it) ... sort of smells a bit like pool water

Thanks

Hi... I've got a stack of milton tablets that I no longer need for baby bottles, and was wondering if anyone has used them for sanitising their brewing equipment? Its a hospital grade disinfectant, non toxic and doesn't need rinsing. I think if I drained everything well I shouldn't have a problem with it, was just wondering if anyone else had an opinion on it.

The active ingredient is Sodium Dichloroisocyanurate (don't ask me to say it) ... sort of smells a bit like pool water

Thanks

Hi BrewGirl,

I think they'll do the job of sanitising just fine. Make sure the equipment is spotless first. However, don't treat this as a no-rinse sanitiser. It is chlorine based and chlorine + phenols (chlorophenols) = a horrible band-aid like taste in your beer. It's evident in very low numbers. Rinse with water afterwards, boiled if you have any concerns about your town supply.

regards,
Scott

ive used milton tablets before and they work great
i never rinsed but just let them drain well
they got a bit expensive just to buy for brewing as there are cheaper alternatives
but if you already have them use them

good luck

Latest posts

Back