Millmaster Gear Guard Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Sully,

When these guards are getting made are you going to be there when the first one is made to check that it all works once it's made out of SS, or at least give them your mill to double check it?

Would hate for these guys to knock out all these guards and they don't work properly.

Farside.

My only concern is that the guard is slightly off centre when you look from the top so that it covers the gears completely.

My concern is not only the consistency of the guards but the consistency of the mills. My mill and I know of at least one other has an aperture between the rollers that visibly changes as it is rotating. What's to say we all haven't got different sized mills by a mm here or there?

Ideas? Comments?

If it fits sullys OK I'll risk it, its only about $25 with postage. I've spent more than that riskier stuff than this before now.

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev

If it fits sullys OK I'll risk it, its only about $25 with postage. I've spent more than that riskier stuff than this before now.
Righto, that'll do me. Have you noticed the roller wobble on yours though?

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2

Hey Sully,

When these guards are getting made are you going to be there when the first one is made to check that it all works once it's made out of SS, or at least give them your mill to double check it?

Would hate for these guys to knock out all these guards and they don't work properly.

Farside.

My concern is not only the consistency of the guards but the consistency of the mills. My mill and I know of at least one other has an aperture between the rollers that visibly changes as it is rotating. What's to say we all haven't got different sized mills by a mm here or there?

Ideas? Comments?
There seems to be varying inconsistancies with every mill by the sounds of it. I hear your concerns and believe me I am too, and quite frankly I'm sticking my neck on the line here. I won't give 100% guarantee it will work on every mill, but Im sure it will work on greater than 99.9999% of them.

What I didnt mention (as I forgot to) is that the mounting holes are cut 10mm diameter (the mill ones are 8mm) so there is some additional adjustment there as well which will help for fine tuning. If anything, the worst that will need to happen is you may need to take a flap wheel grinding disc to it to shave a bit off here or there. But hopefully not.

My only concern is that the guard is slightly off centre when you look from the top so that it covers the gears completely.

Yes it is offset, 30mm from the outer edge to cover the gears and 20mm on the non-geared side leaving a 130mm opening. If you look at the knurling on the mill it doesnt go right to the edge so its basically there to keep the grain within the knurling.

Attached is a PDF template if you want to cut one yourself out of cardboard and double check. It also has the feeder if it intrests you, but not really necessary if you have the Millmaster Hopper. Use a 1mm board to give you a more true size. Dont forget to change "PAGE SCALING" to "NONE" when you go to print it.This is the best I can suggest at this stage since they want to charge eighty-something dollars for a single unit.

Hope that helps. Please air any concerns, I would rather know now than after having them cut. Its a design I have been working on for a while now and been fine tuning it as I go. I am pretty sure all bases are covered but a fresh set of eyes may pick something up.

I will close this Bulk Buy Wednesday next week to give everyone time to check their mill and cancel or order. Also the quote expires then (only a 7 day quote) so hence there is a bit of urgency.

Well we exceeded 30 units so its looking good. I will see if I can get them to sharpen their pencils a bit more too.

Cheers

Sully

PS: The PDF is before I made the mounting holes 10mm so take into concideration when trying it out.

View attachment Gear_Guard.pdf

Fairy nuff Sull. Punch em out I say. You're a gentleman for taking it on this thankless task. If it doesn't fit exactly I own a hammer.

Thanks

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer
31. farside

Sounds pretty good, and like some of the other posts mention it's only $30 or so.

When you post them sully you might have to put something over the pointy bits like a small block polystyrofoam to stop it punching holes in the bag.

Well done on organising this Sully.

ps. at this rate we might even see 40!! :eek:

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer
31. farside
32 Back Yard Brewer (will bum a ride with GMK's)

I put my name on the list in post 35. When members update the list with their name can they make sure they don't delete someone elses at the same time.

BYB

When you post them sully you might have to put something over the pointy bits like a small block polystyrofoam to stop it punching holes in the bag.

Yep, already thought of that ;) . It might not look pretty but it will be done :p .

Over 30 now... can we do 40!!!!

:icon_cheers:

Yep, already thought of that ;) . It might not look pretty but it will be done :p .

Over 30 now... can we do 40!!!!

:icon_cheers:

Before you ask Sully I am really really busy on that day when your packing and posting! ;) Plus you would give me the job of putting little bits of foam on the pointy ends.

OK fellas,

Due to my great negotiating skills (not) I have got them down to $14.50 a piece IF we make the 40. :beerbang:

Cheers

Sully

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer
31. farside
32. BYB
33. Chappo

What the hell I'm gunna buy one sooner or later as olde Margy is wayyyy to much fun standing around for an hour to crack 12kgs of grain!

Edit: Sorry BYB I dropped ya off the list :lol: :ph34r:

1. Sully
2. Sammus
3. Glaab
4. Thommo
5. snooze
6. canon1ball
7. Cortez The Killer
8. grantw
9. LexP
10. Brewer Pete
11. cliffo
12. Henno
13. Leiothrix
14. redb
15. geoff_tewierik
16. GMK
17. Stubbie
18. nifty
19. 3G
20. RandyRob
21. Sanders4_
22. dakron - 2 please
23. Pocket Beers
24. Andyd
25. Razz
26. Cummins
27. Skippy
28 Korev
29. sam x2
30. real_beer
31. farside
32. BYB
33. Chappo
34. Sammy

OK fellas,

Due to my great negotiating skills (not) I have got them down to $14.50 a piece IF we make the 40. :beerbang:

Cheers

Sully

I'm well pleased with the $18 + postage price offer Sully, you've got a bit of work running around and packing so whatever price you get them for now you can keep the difference on my order.

Your idea is a great solution to the problem and as the MillMaster itself arrived with differing tolerances from batch to batch, I think anyone who orders this gear guard should automatically accept they might have to tweak it a little, and if they don't it's a bonus, good work mate. :beerbang:

If we don't make it (but we probably will) I'll buy up any extra stock to make it to 40 units so everyone gets the better price. Probably couldn't hurt having a few spares to sell on for people who buy a millmaster in the future...

Back