Mill Motor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoff_tewierik

Reaction score
The boys at BABB's gave me a ribbing the other night about my dinky little motor I had tried to run my Mashmaster Mill with, but that very night I'd picked up a 240V motor from a scrap pile.

The motor looks like this:

20080928millmotor.jpg

If anyone can decipher the details on the stamped plate and let me know how much grunt it has I'd appreciate it.

I had to rip apart my mill/hopper and flip the mill over to geth the right direction going, but when I'd put it back together I ran some pale malt through and got the following pics:

20080928crushedgraininmashtun.jpg

and a slightly out of focus (the good photographers call it soft focus right ;))closer pic:

20080928crushedgrain.jpg

According to my feeler gauge the gap setting on the mill is currently 1.5mm and it looks to be shredding the grain, rather then getting a good crush. Tighter gap = better crush? Not too fussed as yet as I need to make a trip to the big green shed for some more board for mounting the motor/mill combo better.

Is there a way to throttle back a direct drive 240V motor? My gut feeling is the rpm is too high for the mill.

Cheers,

GT

The motor looks like it will have enough HP to turn the mill but do you have any idea what the rpms are? I think 150 is ideal with a max of 300.

I would also decrease the gap size to 1mm, there are a lot of whole husks and the mill should be able to handle a smaller gap due to the large rollers.

Mate,

Looks to me like the motor was on a pump. It says that on the left side. But only 6 litre per hour, 10 bar pressure.

On the right side it says .08 horse power .06 kilowatts. that is under one tenth of a horse power. Not much.
Looks to be 1400 rpm. To slow it down you will need a 50 mm drive pulley to a 250mm pulley on the grinder which will give you 280 RPM, which may be a bit fast. To get to 140 RPM you would need a 500mm pulley on the grinder.

I am driving a Marge mill with a 1/3 hp motor, 1400RPM, 50mm to 350mm pulleys so going about 200 RPM.

I am not too sure that small a motor will do the job.

Cheers,
Bud

mill_3.JPG

Slightly OT, but how does one cut a nice hole in the bottom of their newly acquired "spring water" type bottle???

Cheers

Nick
PS: Bloody nice setup there Bud, and Geoff - loving the winding loop of stainless braid. Bling central!

Slightly OT, but how does one cut a nice hole in the bottom of their newly acquired "spring water" type bottle???

by using the table saw, set the rip fence 12mm away from the blade, lower the blade to about 12mm high and rotate the bottle on it's side over it....perfect! It is not a hole in the bottom, but rather the bottom is cut off. bottle is plenty strong for this application.

Cheers,
Bud

Excellent, now to just find someone that HAS a table saw, and is willing to do this for me!

Cheers

You could drill a hole then use a jigsaw to cut a big enough hole in the base if you cant find someone with a tablesaw.

cheers Brad

OK, cool, just need to find someone with a Jigsaw!!!

Yeah, I have no power tools! Woe is me!

Cheers

Cheers

Did someone say Bunnings
biggrin.gif

Cheap jigsaw about 15 bucks.

And medical treatment from being a tool-tard...........!??!!??!?!?

:p

Cheers

And medical treatment from being a tool-tard...........!??!!??!?!?

:p

Cheers

If you want to drive about 4 hrs north I will cut it for you
biggrin.gif

could have a brew day as well!

Cheers
Nick,

I bought a jigsaw a few weeks ago from bunnings to cut a hole in my MDF to mount my mashmaster mill.

I'm home today and brewing if you want to swing around and use said power tool.

Edit: PM me for directions and phone number.
PB :p

Oh, so this is the 'how to cut a hole in the bottom of a spring water bottle' thread.
Dunno why I thought it was about a mill motor??

Geoff, that motor has about the same power(60 Watts) as your little dinky one, maybe evena little less, hard to believe but true!
Atleast this one is much easier to supply with power though.

Yeah RPM = 1400
The only way to adjust the RPM of that motor(direct drive) is with a variable frequency drive, which are getting cheaper but still pricey.
You'll have to play around with some belts and pulleys.

That looks to only be going less than 100 RPM in the movie. Could that be so??

Bud

Ahh isn't fun setting up new bits of equipment.

Here's the mill running away, nice and noisy due to the geared rollers.

http://brewing.figmentia.com/images/MVI_1188.AVI

And here's what happens when grain gets in on the action:

http://brewing.figmentia.com/images/MVI_1189.AVI

P.S. Thanks fro the info Bud, and yes the motor drove a worm drive gear which worked a diaphragm pump and the diaphragm was cactus so the motor was salvaged from it.

Funny :lol: :lol: no grunt.

Nah it's zipping along at more then that.

Must just be the movie then.
You did see my three attempts at motors in another thread. I always try to use stuff laying around the shed, not always successful though.
I am not sure I would spent the money on pulleys for that motor, still a risk that it won't work.

cheers,
Bud

you can get variable speed power drills from bunnings for $30.

Latest posts

Back