Milk Crates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bighanno

Reaction score
Noticed Kmart flogging milk crate copies at about $7-8 for all you legal bottlers :D

thanks bighanno! but i have a 90L container that houses about 60 or so longnecks and also store freshly bottled beers in 2 eskies (a lot easier to clean up the mess)

The 90 lt are great, cept mine was given to our horses as a water trough!!

someone hasn't got their priorities right!!! :D

There are free crates out front of most milk bars.

Wish they were, but it's called theft. Plenty of debate out there on the threads about the rights and wrongs of hording the crates. The milk companies will actively persue the reclaiming of their property. Over 2 million p.a. go missing, thats a lot of home brew!!

bighanno said:
The milk companies will actively persue the reclaiming of their property. Over 2 million p.a. go missing

[post="121461"][/post]​

If that was the case they'd only have to sit at the toll gates and pick off just about every work ute and van in Syd, Melb, Bris,etc....and get them back and make a fortune in fines!!

But I dont see it happening!!

i used to be a milkboy back in the day ($10/hr cash and 2 free Mooves.. :D ) nearly every garage that we delivered to had a few crates holding the usual junk. We never heard from dairy farmers or the likes about the loss of their crates. Things may have changed, they could be on a mission now. i might paint mine in camoflauge just in case

Behind any supermarket there is normally well over a hundred I am positive they dont notice a dozen that go missing or so......

Plus it aint just HB's I know plenty of people that use it for storage.

Theft! - Blahhhhhhh......

If you can somehow "borrow" 2 of these they are very good at multiplying.
I'm not sure how they do it.
Then you can give the borrowed ones back after they have made plenty more.

cheers
johnno

johnno said:
If you can somehow "borrow" 2 of these they are very good at multiplying.
I'm not sure how they do it.
Then you can give the borrowed ones back after they have made plenty more.

cheers
johnno
[post="121517"][/post]​

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Rabbit theory! Love it!

I noticed, in the latest BYO mag. that a company is making beer bottle cases/ bottle organisers from timber.

Not cheap IMHO at $US24.95 + $12 handling fee.
Maybe there's a sucker market with too much disposable income in the US.

Having said that, I find it difficult to come up with milk crates for the Xmas case coz I'm not a thief. Maybe I need to go to a megastore and buy some pseudo-crates (sounds like the name of an ancient Greek philosopher).

Seth

Weizguy said:
Having said that, I find it difficult to come up with milk crates for the Xmas case coz I'm not a thief. Maybe I need to go to a megastore and buy some pseudo-crates (sounds like the name of an ancient Greek philosopher).

Seth
[post="121524"][/post]​

and you'll never have to worry about CUB or LN chasing you about a 50L brewery.... ;)

KoNG said:
and you'll never have to worry about CUB or LN chasing you about a 50L brewery.... ;)
[post="121527"][/post]​
My conscience is clear. Kong.

Maybe I should have said that I'm not an accomplished or competent thief.
Apologies to all who are, though. :p :p

Seth :p

a few dozen wont go un noticed until............."Every day approximately 2,000 milk crates are taken out of the Dairy Farmers system - that equates to 60,000 a month, 720,000 a year or over 650 semi-trailer loads full!! "

Have a read here - http://www.dairyfarmers.com.au/internet/s1...y/bringback.jsp

I'm not a moral crusader, just making a point that all the theft adds to the cost of milk for us consumers.

On sale at Kmart, build a box, keg your beer or borrow a crate!

Theft is defined as 'the intention to permanently deprive the owner of said item'...

I'm sure no one here would do that, they were just found on the roadside and we took them home to prevent an accident... sure we have got a couple, cant keep making trips to the depot to give them back with fuel costs as they are... of course we have the intention of returning them!

Mates and I once built an entire TV cabinet out of milk crates when we lived in a share house together. It had space for a 68cm TV, DVD player, Playstation and Stereo. A thing of beauty I tell ya!

Have no idea what happened to it though...

Weizguy said:
Maybe I should have said that I'm not an accomplished or competent thief.
Apologies to all who are, though. :p :p

Seth :p
[post="121532"][/post]​

Hey Weiz.

Ever recultured yeast from a bottle of Coopers? Isn't that the theft of intellectual propertry? :lol:

Warren -

Warren,

I should have expected to hear from you on this. You are a great leveller, and I appreciate that. ;)

I believe that Coopers do not add a disclaimer to the bottle re the unused contents/yeast "remaining the property of Coopers for time immemorial etc..." They also encourage brewers to culture their yeast, as I have seen it mentioned in Coopers Club newsletters (and aren't they just Coopers propaganda now).
There's prob a difference between the bottle yeast and the fermentation yeast, although they'll tell U there's not. So why would they care?

Back to the topic...until brewing companies patent their yeast, it's still fair game to culture from bottles. Now, stop trying to scare me!

Re competence as an acquirer (as "thief" is a loaded term), I may have had milk crates at my house, but I didn't steal them myself. I realise that the owners don't care how I got stuff that they might own, but when U are gifted some old crown-seal beer bottles, the container they come in doesn't get a second look. "Sorry, I can't take those bottles coz they're in someone else's container...you'll have to take them to the dump". Would it be more immoral to refuse the bottles, or to take the gift. Looking a gift horse in the mouth, and all that...

My humble apologies to anyone here who believes that I called them a "thief". The term was used as self-criticism rather than being judgmental to AHBers, as I'm sure that no-one here has a malicious bone in their beer-lovin' bodies. Am I forgiven? :wub:
Is it safe for me to attend the Sydney pub crawl? :lol:

Seth

Latest posts

Back