Mexican Ag Quaffer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnw

Reaction score
Hi,

Can anyone suggest an AG recipe for a corona/cerveza type beer. Something thin bodied, not huge in flavour.

Its for a camping trip over Chirstmas, nothing like knocking back a few of these styled beers when the suns out.

DrinkBeer

maybe something like

4.5kg Pilsner malt
Chinook @ 60mins for ~20ibu's (the chinook would add a nice slight citrus flavour to it)

mash low @ 64/65 to get a really low final gravity & clean, dry finish

Safale US-05 yeast

O.G 1.046

Try

Wey Pils 80-85%
Polenta/rice 10-15%
make up OG with Sugaz/Dex

OG around 1.050

Mash low 64-65C

Hop with a noble hop like Hallertau Mittlefrueh.

Swiss lager and try to attenuate it all the way out for a nice dry finish.

Chap Chap

With the rice, would i be using say sunbeam white rice? Same with polenta, from a pack sold at Coles/Woolies?

Depending on what you're looking for out of the beer, I made a lower alcohol (3%) beer recently that's still got some flavour to it yet still very quaffable. The low alcohol means I can enjoy a few of them and still be able to drive and it beats the pants of any commercial light beer.

Otherwise, the advise above looks good however I'd give the Galaxy hops a try. You could also use a lager yeast if you have a fermentation fridge, otherwise US-05 @ 17-18c produces a clean enough beer.

I also had great feedback from my Sticks and Stones brew by many non-craftbrew drinkers. It's very refreshing and has enough flavour to enjoy it as well. At a family BBQ a 19L keg managed to evaporate in 1.5 hours, first time I've had to line up to get a drink of my own beer as well!

With the rice, would i be using say sunbeam white rice? Same with polenta, from a pack sold at Coles/Woolies?

Home brand rice or polenta will do. I use Aldi because I am a tight-wad and no one will ever know the difference... :ph34r:

Brewed this one for my son in law in Feb, he's a Corona drinker and loved it. However at an OG of 1050 you might want to halve the quantitiy of rice for a quaffer:

4000 BB Galaxy
1000 rice (ALDI)

90 mins 66 degrees

20g of Chinook but Galena would be better - no point late hopping, they don't.

90 mins

500g Chinese Maltose rice syrup into fermenter, otherwise a tin of Lyles Golden Syrup

US-05 at 17 degrees.

The stuff in the bottles is mine, I had to drink the Corona to get the empties <_<

solly_cerveza.JPG

Brewed this one for my son in law in Feb, he's a Corona drinker and loved it. However at an OG of 1050 you might want to halve the quantitiy of rice for a quaffer:

4000 BB Galaxy
1000 rice (ALDI)

90 mins 66 degrees

20g of Chinook but Galena would be better - no point late hopping, they don't.

90 mins

500g Chinese Maltose rice syrup into fermenter, otherwise a tin of Lyles Golden Syrup

US-05 at 17 degrees.

The stuff in the bottles is mine, I had to drink the Corona to get the empties <_<

View attachment 31896

Something like this would be good. Single addition, would be my choice, nothing late,and err on the side of " less is better ".
I was looking at recipes last night and noticed there is a liquid cerveza ( mexican lager at least)yeast available . Something to consider for that extra authentic something.
mmmm! not sold on the golden syrup though, but the rice is the go.
Daz

Not an expert but for cerveza/corn beer style wouldn't you go for corn (eg polenta as suggested earlier)?

The rice probably has a similar but not identical effect.

@bribie - have you tried mashing rice instead of using the syrup in the same recipe and if so how did they compare? Would you consider using polenta for further comparison?

My main interest is due to wanting to brew an AG TsingTsao clone in the near future. Did an extract once - put a load of cloudy starch in there using rice flour but she came out drinkable. Looking at improving on that effort somewhat now though.

Is there a liquid yeast alternative or is the consensus that US-05 would be the way to go, considering i dont have a fermentation fridge but can control temps to some extent.

Click Search, click More Search Options

Keyword to search for "Corona" member "Zwickel" and Sow Results as Posts, for a good recipe and lots to learn.

Screwy

I've used Polenta in similar recipes but with New Zealand hops and they turn out ok but I find the polenta gives a more grainy taste that seems to go better in true ales. I like that rice syrup which I add directly into the fermenter as it has a fragrant malty flavour of its own.

After a long period trialling everything from Morgans lager yeast to w-34/70 to Steam Beer Lager yeast to Swiss Lager yeast and months spent lagering and cold conditioning, I have come to the personal conclusion that US-05 fermented cool in a 'fake lager' and given a good cold crash produces something so similar to a lager, in quaffing brews like Aussie Standards, Cervezas etc that I can't be arsed to tie up a fridge for three months for a batch I am going to swill in two weeks.

If I ever get a huge fridge like Sully's ex commercial glass fronted monster, or a small cold room, then I'll experiment with the finest Bohemian Pilseners, but till then I come back to US-05 again and again. :icon_cheers:

Edit: of course I should have remembered that I have a version on tap at the moment with the 500g only of rice and a tub of the syrup, but all Green Bullet with 3 additions. And US 05. Use some Galena hops and I suppose you would be pretty close:

magic_bullet__Medium_.jpg

So you reckon a decent tsing tsao clone could be made using 05? Weather's warming up a bit so I may have to give it a shot. How about the rice mash vs rice syrup thing though?

US05 is great clean and crisp for a fake lager.

More authenic maybe go 2274PC wyeast? I haven't used it but reading up on it sounds like it would be my choice.

Hops Galena is the go. Again only used then once and to be honest I wasn't overly fussed with them but I think they would suit this style.

Chap Chap

Home brand rice or polenta will do. I use Aldi because I am a tight-wad and no one will ever know the difference... :ph34r:

Of course it will chap chap, it all comes from the same place anyway!

You really need to thin these kind of beers out with neutral adjunct and rice is the perfect option. corn would be next but that imparts cornyness... yep, cornyness. with polenta you have the benifit of dumping it directly into your mash tun, with rice you need to preboil it unfortunatly.

shoot for 20% of your grist and a simple single 60 min bittering addition to 20IBU~.

Is there a liquid yeast alternative or is the consensus that US-05 would be the way to go, considering i dont have a fermentation fridge but can control temps to some extent.

There is a liquid mexican lager yeats named in beersmith as W/Labs 940, which was my ref in last post. Sorry if misled, (going from memery last night,) but im not sure if its available in Aust.
Daz

How complex are the sugaz from rice? What do the enzymes break it into?

Is it as neutral as dextrose?

How complex are the sugaz from rice? What do the enzymes break it into?

Is it as neutral as dextrose?

I find rice to be very neutral, as for what its broken into?!? glucose or converted into maltose/maltotriose even?

I suppose I'm continuing this thread and/or bumping it.

Rice - what does it impart flavourwise? If nothing, why not dextrose - after all these beers need thinning anyway.

Other question - what about Nottingham (Danstar) Ale Yeast? It seems to have low temp tolerance (even in winter, inside a house in Qld is unlikely to drop below 14 degrees, though I have a cellar that does, if required), highly attenuating (therefore dry, as the style requires) and extremely neutral in terms of flavour imparted.

Just trying to collate a cerveza recipe, to be put down in the next week or two, for storage and summer drinking. :chug:

Back