Metallic tang in my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_Mick_

Reaction score
Pretty sure I've copped an infection here...
Brewed a brow porter a few weeks ago and when i bottled it it had a strong metallic tang to it, didnt think much of it at first but 3 weeks on and the taste is still there.
Brewed an IPA soon after and bottled it today, smelt and tasted fantastic throughout the ferment but come bottling it had the same tang... not as strong as the porter but still there.
Ive since bleached the sh#t out of all my gear and now have an Aussie lager mashing away as I type.
Anyone had a similar taste/smell?

What is your process for sanitation?

Do you have any brass fittings?

What was the ferment temp?

Is it medicinal, metallic or solventy?

is it the same metallic taste that is sometimes on the top of the stubby of a commercial bottle?

any new steel gear or problems with water?

Dunkelbrau said:
What is your process for sanitation?

Do you have any brass fittings?

What was the ferment temp?

Is it medicinal, metallic or solventy?
Starsan for sanitising, No brass, 18*C, definitely metallic taste.
these last two brews are the first time this has occurred.

droid said:
is it the same metallic taste that is sometimes on the top of the stubby of a commercial bottle?

any new steel gear or problems with water?
Nah not the same, much stronger.
water here is pretty good but I have just recently bought and am using some new camlock fittings... (from china)...
I thought i washed and sanitised them pretty well but could they be the problem?

Most common cause is metal contamination in the brewhouse. Does the use of the new fittings coincide with the appearance of the flavour?

Bet on the cam locks, metals from china are not usually what they say they are. i.e: sold as stainless but really just chromed brass- and that will give you a metallic flavour for sure.

manticle said:
Most common cause is metal contamination in the brewhouse. Does the use of the new fittings coincide with the appearance of the flavour?
Sambrew said:
Bet on the cam locks, metals from china are not usually what they say they are. i.e: sold as stainless but really just chromed brass- and that will give you a metallic flavour for sure.
I think you guys are right, the appearence of the metallic taste coincides with when I got the new fittings... well that sucks because I've just brewed again today and its on the boil now, oh well...
Having said that the taste doesn't come through till after it ferments, tastes fine going into the fermenter. hmmm

might just be covered by other flavours till after fermentation. Be careful with Chinese (or cheap asian in general) metals as they are often recycled in small batches and can contain lead and other undesirables.

well I guess its what they say "you get what you pay for"
Looks like ill be chasing some new fittings

OK, perhaps a long shot, were you by any chance using US Magnum?

Just out of curiosity i have a brass nipple inside my kettle and have never detected any mettalic off flavours, i would have prefered to use stainless but i ran out the brass piece i used was off a pump i had set up up for sonething else and gad been used for years i just cleaned it up a bit. This may sound dumb but would the metalic flavour that op is getting boil off eventually after a few brews

I think the big concern with brass is lead, you need to use a vinager/hydrogen peroxide solution to take any lead on the surface off (if you go too long it reveals more lead).

Another dumb question then does lead in the small percentage we could get in our brew go past the taste threshold and does the brass we would buy now contain lead.... a metelurgist i aint

Edit cant even spell metalurgist

michaeld16 said:
Another dumb question then does lead in the small percentage we could get in our brew go past the taste threshold and does the brass we would buy now contain lead.... a metelurgist i aint

Edit cant even spell metalurgist
I'm not sure on any of that.. Anything is possible with Chinese imports haha

Either way, I would rather avoid it ;-)

iambj said:
OK, perhaps a long shot, were you by any chance using US Magnum?
I always use Magnum to bitter, but never had a drama with it.

Dunkelbrau said:
I think the big concern with brass is lead, you need to use a vinager/hydrogen peroxide solution to take any lead on the surface off (if you go too long it reveals more lead).
Interesting, might run some bleach/vinegar mix through it all to be on the safe side,
I really hope this taste goes away, not particularly keen on replacing all these camlock fittings...
Would rather it have just been an infection and just replace the fermenter.

Once you're done take the fittings apart and have a look at them, if you see any signs of corrosion (which I would describe as a metallic taste) then that answers your question.
Considering the taste has lessened on the second brew there's also a chance that there was some sort of coating on the fittings that has come off since you've brewed. If this is the case then maybe by brew 3 the taste will have largely gone.
Also, do you use a copper chiller?

The country of origin of your fittings is probably not all that relevant as I'd bet most of our home brewing fittings are manufactured north of Aus.

I'd say quality of fittings us important, sure, China can produce quality, but it will cost similar to what you get from Aussie brew shops. Might as well give your money to a local brew shop as well!

Dunkelbrau said:
I'd say quality of fittings us important, sure, China can produce quality, but it will cost similar to what you get from Aussie brew shops. Might as well give your money to a local brew shop as well!
Agreed, I'm usually an advocate for spending a couple of dollars more to support the local shop, and am now regretting not doing it in this case, time will tell if yesterday's brew cops the same problem. Tasted fine going into the fv but so did the others...

Latest posts

Back