Metallic tang in my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By the look of your avatar Tony, you may have overdone the starsan thing.:)

Tony said:
over carbonation?
That is a good point and a lot of things went through my head, but in the OPs story, it happens before bottling.

Thought I'd tack onto this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

I have had a smell/flavour in my last 2 brews that I think is medicinal though my wife tells me it is metallic - as she is always right I will run with metallic.

Only common things from my last 2 brews were water, the fermenter and the first batches on my new keggle. For the 3rd brew yesterday I used filtered water to hopefully rule that out and was also going to use a different fermenter.

However after I cleaned the keggle and let it sit upside down to drain, I tipped it up and caught a whiff of the smell/taste I've been getting in the beer. I stuck my head in but couldn't smell it again. From there, I boiled some water in it and tasted it - the metallic smell & taste were there.

To give a run down of my system, it is a 50L keg with the top cut out with a 3600w stainless steel mounted in a threaded socket that has been welded to the keg. Outlet/inlets are various SS fittings & ball valves connected using thread tape and silicone washers where needed. Wort recirculates via march pump with silicone hoses and cam locks. All equipment purchased from local suppliers and cleaned well prior to first use.

So to get to the point, I would appreciate any advice as to where to go from here?

Thanking all in advance.

Tony

I'd "brew" a control first. By that I mean, with your full system, "mash" some water at 67C for 60min so you get the metallic tang.
Then remove a piece of the gear and try again, rinse, repeat. I'd suggest removing the pump/hoses/camlocks first (no recirculating, in other words)

Thanks MTB, will do.

Now that I think about it, the one thing I'm a bit iffy about is the weld on the element socket. Clutching at straws maybe but is that something that could cause it by using the wrong welding material?

Just to update this, I pulled the heater out and there is a distinct smell where the elements and the socket meet. I contacted the manufacturer and they advised that they use araldite to seal between the elements and the socket which is probably the reason for the smell but stated they don't normally have any issues. They have asked me to send it back to them to see what can be done to fix it.

Assume you mean brand of heater as opposed to araldite. It was custom made by a local company I have used previously for work. Would rather not mention names as I have had nothing but quality from them and assume this was an oversight. I am also confident they will resolve any issues.

Latest posts

Back