Melbourne's saison weather

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I need to make 3. Have 3711 french, the belgian one and farmhouse pc yeasts in fridge and some ding pils and noble hops. Same recipe, 3 different yeasts.
Haven't brewed for 3 months - saison will be my re-introduction.

Got one fermenting at the moment. Amarillo hops. Apricot and lemon verbena to be added at secondary ferment.

I'll be putting one down on the weekend in time for the hot weather early next week. Mostly Pilsner, with a healthy dose of saaz, fermented with wyeast Belgian saison.

Who needs to be in Melbourne for saison?!haha. Just pitched some 3724 in a spelt saison. First time using 3724, kinda scared!

The weather for next week has gone from hot/good saison weather to freaking *insane*. No brewing next week - just sitting around, mopping forehead, wondering when the pain will end.

We have kumquats well on the way to being ripe and I'd like to do a saison with them. They have an exceedingly sweet and citrusy skin, and very tart/sour/bitter flesh. I'm thinking they'd add quite a bit of character to a brew. Any suggestions by others who've brewed with kumquats in saisons/other beers most welcome.

Been drinking a few lately. Did Tony's bullshead with Motueka. Another with styrian, and just put down a bits and pieces-
2.5 kg ale
Kilo Munich
Half kilo of wheat and half of pilsner,
Chinook 60 minutes
Cascade & Chinook at 10 minutes to 19 ibu, light on at 4.8%. Tasting good after a week in fermenter. Really dry at final 1000. Mashed at 64. Belle danstar yeast. Should be a nice easy drinker that one. 5 - 7 wks and I'll know.

pickaxe

Edit- lot of people said no to Chinook in a Saison when I searched for it, but found some breweries doing it, gave it a go, reckon it's gonna be a winner.

TimT said:
The weather for next week has gone from hot/good saison weather to freaking *insane*. No brewing next week - just sitting around, mopping forehead, wondering when the pain will end.
Yep, she's going to be a hot one. My brewery will hold a nice saison fermenting temp though. I'm also home all week so if things start to get a little hot I can always wrap up the fermenter in a wet towel and use some ice bricks to hold the temps around 29-31.

Yeast starter will be ready for pitching tonight. Bring it on :beerbang:

Further ti Chinook in a Saison - best thing ever, after trying a Murray's whale ale which changed my world on wheat beers, that Saison I put down its 2 weeks old and drinking great. Lightly bittered but Chinook makes more sense to me in this than my last attempts with Motueka and styrian goldings. Only 19 ibu, Chinook back with subtle cascade aroma. Still malt front, but backed off with ale malt subbing pilsner, quite dry, balanced. Low gravity, only started at 1037, but finished at 1000, mashed at about 64, really nice beer. Don't believe the hype, Chinook + Saison = awesome

pickaxe

Edit- total session beer - made this for my wedding weekend when heaps of family and friends in town - big pleaser.

To argue cross thread - it tastes like a Euro 150 lashes. It has that funky Saison flavour, with more tang, but not quote pine, pepper, with subtle cascade aroma, but still ultra dry, lower malt backbone which could be described as ' Australian' as far as the Aussie IPA thread is trying ti get toward. Thinner, but not in a bad way if you get my meaning.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1391766773.609753.jpg
Belle saison with Tony's recipe
Ohhh mumma!!

Bottled my summer saaz saison last night, tasted great out of the fermenter, lovely apricot notes. Hope they stick around!

TimT said:

We have kumquats well on the way to being ripe and I'd like to do a saison with them. They have an exceedingly sweet and citrusy skin, and very tart/sour/bitter flesh. I'm thinking they'd add quite a bit of character to a brew. Any suggestions by others who've brewed with kumquats in saisons/other beers most welcome.
did you end up brewing this? how did it turn out? what was the method.

I'm about to rack a Belle Saison (70% pils, 20% wheat, 10% rye) onto 2 kgs of ripe juicy kumquats....

dannymars said:
I'm about to rack a Belle Saison (70% pils, 20% wheat, 10% rye) onto 2 kgs of ripe juicy kumquats....
2kg is a lot for a very acidic and strongly flavoured fruit. How long do you intend to leave it on the fruit for?

I'd be tempted to half, or even quarter the amount of fruit just so you don't over do it. It's easy to add more next time you make it than take it away from an over-cooked batch.

JDW81 said:
2kg is a lot for a very acidic and strongly flavoured fruit. How long do you intend to leave it on the fruit for?

I'd be tempted to half, or even quarter the amount of fruit just so you don't over do it. It's easy to add more next time you make it than take it away from an over-cooked batch.
True that, I could always blend it back into clean saison tho...

A bit of research yields vastly different amounts... One brewery in the US were up around 400g/L puréed kumquats... Jeepers

Might try 1kg first

Latest posts

Back