Melbourne Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the news of the desalination plant coming online shortly, I wonder if it will have any impact for us as brewers? (Article: http://goo.gl/82W1mI)
Assume the reports we rely on from water authorities will not be as accurate.

There's a few interesting articles around about brewing with desalinated water, however I'm assuming ours will be a mix of local dam/desalinated:
https://goo.gl/Gdp1zJ

Beat me to it BrutusB. I've been wondering exactly the same thing - how will we get our hands on updated water reports and what salt-addition changes will be needed.

Jrrj said:
how will we get our hands on updated water reports and what salt-addition changes will be needed.
I'll give South East Water a call today and ask them if they have any recommendations. I'm going to assume the only real way to know is to get a water report done, but my worry is that the 'blend' can/will change 'at will' which will render the report useless.

Edit - Update:

Spoke to South East Water's quality and analysis team and they've stated that if Desalinated water is added it will be 'Shandied' at the Cardinia reservoir, therefore we should expect similar results to the annual reports etc. They also said they routinely test, basically daily. They suggested to keep an eye on the results coming from: https://secureapp.southeastwater.com.au/waterquality/, if the 'EC' changes it's an indicator that the disolved salts etc may have changed and then we should give them a call for the results of the latest detailed analysis.

timmi9191 said:
Anyone noticed or got firm data on the water change from the desal?

My water Ph has dropped 0.9 Since my last brew.
You mean you actually use your desal plant in Vic ! We in SA built a monster so we could say we have one.

timmi9191 said:
Anyone noticed or got firm data on the water change from the desal?

My water Ph has dropped 0.9 Since my last brew.
Has any water been delivered yet? I haven't seen any flow into the dam.

timmi9191 said:
Well I dont actually know, Im assuming it is..
I am pretty sure the desal plant has been in standby mode since 2012.

Where in Melbourne are you?

RelaxedBrewer said:
I am pretty sure the desal plant has been in standby mode since 2012.

Where in Melbourne are you?
The goverment ordered water back in March, so as far as I know its producing water. see post #61

I think the government recently signed to buy some water but I don't think it's due to flow until the end if the year. But I could be wrong.

It flows into Cardinia dam and it's no higher than normal.

Interestingly I have heard rumours that it can't be pumped out of Cardinia so it will only go to people in the south east, not northern or Western suburbs but I don't know how factually accurate that information is.

Nullnvoid said:
It flows into Cardinia dam and it's no higher than normal.
Thats my understanding too

Nullnvoid said:
Interestingly I have heard rumours that it can't be pumped out of Cardinia so it will only go to people in the south east, not northern or Western suburbs but I don't know how factually accurate that information is.

Dont know how acurate that is, as I believe what is due to happen is that the desal will supply Melb Metro and that is then back filling Geelong which will back fill Ballarat which are both low. But I could be completely wrong.

Which if it is currently supplying water, would explain no increase in cardinia as it is being pumped out around Melb

I should get my water meter back this weekend*, I'll be able to tell you if there's a step change.

* It's been on loan to a small commercial brewery for whom I did some consulting work. I'm travelling up there this weekend and hope to get it back.

I'm more interested in knowing if we will get any of that trillion dollar water we are paying for to our tap one day.
I filter it anyhow.

timmi9191 said:
Which if it is currently supplying water, would explain no increase in cardinia as it is being pumped out around Melb
When they were first testing it I could see it come down the spillway which I pass everyday. Haven't seen any water come down since so that's why I think none has come yet.

Just finished brewing and my tap water was the lowest it has ever been ~6.0 ph. That is way lower than normal (and yes I checked the calibration of my ph meter).

Pretty sure there must be a lot more mineral content in the water and it would be screwing up my water calculations. Is there any way of getting a report with the change? Or a report for you suburb?

The south east water web site has some very detailed local analysis reports rather than the generic Melbourne water reports.

Where you located RB?

RelaxedBrewer said:
Pretty sure there must be a lot more mineral content in the water and it would be screwing up my water calculations.
TDS at my tap in Willy is 81 ppm this morning, very close to previous values (it's been 78 - 80 the last few months).

There's no room for a significant lift in mineral content with a TDS of 80.

I am in Preston. We have yarra valley water. I have never been able to find a water report from them that includes all of the relevant minerals. They do say that preston uses a mix of Sulivan and Sugarloaf which are both generally very low in mineral content (from the melbourne water report).

However, according to reports Yarra valley took some of the de sal water.

Back