Melbourne Water

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoganknowbest

Reaction score
I live on the west of melbourne

does anyone know how good the water is out here for brewing?
I don't want to brew if thewater is shit and needs purifying

having lived near that part of town for the best part of my life i can tell you that the water is likely to be quite good at least it was when i was there 4 years ago anyway,( have lived in sydney since then and i cant drink tap water here) i was in Laverton and its good there anyway....

I guess it depends how far west you are scottshari... If you are using Melbourne's municipal water supply then you are using some of the world's best water. Full stop.

By "best", I mean soft and clean. It's not the flinty Burton-on-Trent water used in English Ales, but it's extremely similar to the water profile of Plzn in The Czech Republic, home of the World's most famous lager (arguably).

Enjoy your brewing!

places like rockbank and melton have ordinary tasting water from memory , i believe it to be heavily clorinated....

as bugwan states melbourne water is rated highly among the best drinking waters in the world...

Lived and brewed in Melton for three years.
I say you need to filter it.
Water got worse as water restrictions kicked in.

I'm over at hoppers crossing in the west, and I think the water is not too bad. i did go through a stage of filtering, and to honest I could hardly tell the difference in the water or beers from doing this.
I highly doubt the water is of any different quality to the rest of melbourne thats for sure!

Cheers,

vl.

Latest posts

Back