Melbourne Bulk Buying Sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verbyla

Reaction score
Anyone know of a place in Melbourne that sells bulk sugar(dextrose) or a website that is based in Melbourne that sells it?
Cheers,
Tomo

Anyone know of a place in Melbourne that sells bulk sugar(dextrose) or a website that is based in Melbourne that sells it?
Cheers,
Tomo

I don't recall dextrose, but I used to do a lot of food and bulk buying in Brunswick when I lived in Melbourne, mostly along Victoria St.

I use standard table sugar for bulk priming and don't brew with sugar. Have you considered simply inverting simple cheap table sugar into the glucose+fructose constituents?

Yeast does this naturally to some extent through the enzyme Invertase. But then letting the yeast do it with cane sugar people say leads to cidery/fruity/citrusy fermentations. If you invert the sugar you will find as a brewing adjunct it is ideal as it will ferment very cleanly without having to rely on the enzyme invertase which does a not so complete inversion of simple table sugar.

Inverted sugar syrup can be easily made by adding roughly one gram of citric acid or ascorbic acid, per kilogram of sugar. Cream of tartar (one gram per kilogram) or fresh lemon juice (10 millilitres per kilogram) may also be used.

The mixture is boiled for 20 minutes, and will convert enough of the sucrose to effectively prevent crystallization, without giving a noticeably sour taste. Invert sugar syrup may also be produced without the use of acids or enzymes by thermal means alone: two parts granulated sucrose and one part water simmered for five to seven minutes will convert a modest portion to invert sugar.

All inverted sugar syrups are created from hydrolysing sucrose to glucose (dextrose) and fructose by heating a sucrose solution, then relying on time alone, with the catalytic properties of an acid or enzymes used to speed the reaction. Commercially prepared acid catalysed solutions are neutralised when the desired level of inversion is reached.

All constituent sugars (sucrose, glucose and fructose) support fermentation, so invert sugar solutions may be fermented as readily as sucrose solutions.

Inverted Sugar

Grain and Grape sell bulk dextrose... whether it's cheap or not, who knows?

You could've just re-asked the question in the other thread you made today asking the same question.

Cheers,
Tomo

I seen pallets and pallets of the stuff @Campells Clayton. Whats bulk and whereabouts in Melbourne?

Using Adams recommendation you get 25KG for $60, or 2.40 per kilo if you don't want to run the calculations, thats paying 60% of the 1KG price (40% discount for bulk buying)

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

I seen pallets and pallets of the stuff @Campells Clayton. Whats bulk and whereabouts in Melbourne?
:icon_offtopic:
Is that Campbells Cash & Carry? One place I never got to go to before I moved :(

Well a few mates and i all use dextrose as it is a simple sugar and breaks down completely and more easily compared to other sugars. This gives a higher alcohol percentage and i've found it enhances the malt taste of the brew as there's less sugars left over.
We were thinking about buying about 50kgs(2 sacks) between us all.
Thanks for the info on grapes and grains. I didn't even know the website existed!

I'm in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.
Any chance you can recall the address of Campbells Cash & Carry?

Latest posts

Back