Melbourne Brewers British Ales Competition (vic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick correction - Best Novice is awarded to the brewer with the highest number of points who has not placed in a Vicbrew recognised event. These are listed on the Vicbrew website (www.vicbrew.org.au).

Cheers!

Andy

Yeah I already corrected myself. I know what's going on.

A bit..

Sometimes.

Well, sort of.

Correction - I think just Vicbrew so if you were living in the USA and consistently took out beer of show awards, then moved here, you'd still be eligible, as far as I can tell.

Comp organisers will work out the winner from archived Vicbrew results.

The British Ales comp does allow entries to come in on the day, so if you're running late and need that little extra time to finish the beer out, this is your best bet.

Just keep in mind that not all competitions allow for entries to be dropped off on the day. Also bear in mind that your entry has to have been registered online at www.compmaster.com.au to be eligible.
Also keep in mind that if you are bringing your beer on the day that it's your responsibility to ensure it's at the right temperature for serving, if it's too cold or too warm, there is not much the stewards can do in the short time between when they get your beer and when it's presented to the judges.

Quick question. Are the judges provided with the notes you include in the compmaster entry form or are the beers given to the judges blind without any information?

Due to an overstay on my UK hols there is now a vacancy for 1 judge in the dark ales catagory,the right people have just been notified by email.At $3AUD for 500 ml bottles and pub pints,I"ve decided to stay another few days, :icon_drunk:

Quick question. Are the judges provided with the notes you include in the compmaster entry form or are the beers given to the judges blind without any information?

Depends on what the competition wants. Some comps have it come out on the stewarding sheets, which is what I think we'll do for British Ales...

Andy

Is there an expectation to provide notes? If so what detail would be appropriate?

Is there any advantage in providing notes?

Cheers

Just wondering if there are any drop of points that are prepared to keep comp beers cold until the competition. I was also unfortunate to only have my beer in the keg and thought I would try my luck at transferring some into a bottle and enter it. However my beer is now be sitting back up to room temp for a week before the comp. I just after honest feedback but am imagining the carbonation levels and possible flavour profile may change under those conditions? I obviously need to try and make sure I bottle condition beers in future. I would also love to try and get down to drop off the beer on the day, however that's generally not an option available to me.

Any way just wondering for future reference if anyone knows of a drop of point that can refrigerate keg poured beers?

Thanks

Is there an expectation to provide notes? If so what detail would be appropriate?

Is there any advantage in providing notes?
Depending on the beer style and the competition, IMHO they can be either essential or irrelevant.

Some competitions have a 'Specialty' beer category, where providing notes about the beer on offer is essential, without it the judges cannot assess the beer successfully.
However, at other times and for most other styles if your beer is brewed to style there is not much use in providing notes - all the judges need to know (and are often told) is the specific style of the beer is when it is presented. This way there is no potential bias in the judging process and all beers can be judged against the style guidelines against how the judges perceive that beer.

Just a bump because entries close tomorrow.

Best Novice is awarded to the brewer with the highest number of points who has not placed in a Vicbrew recognised event. These are listed on the Vicbrew website (www.vicbrew.org.au).
Technically that means that one could win best novice multiple times (highest number of points but not get a place in multiple comps). :)

Just wondering if there are any drop of points that are prepared to keep comp beers cold until the competition. I was also unfortunate to only have my beer in the keg and thought I would try my luck at transferring some into a bottle and enter it. However my beer is now be sitting back up to room temp for a week before the comp. I just after honest feedback but am imagining the carbonation levels and possible flavour profile may change under those conditions? I obviously need to try and make sure I bottle condition beers in future. I would also love to try and get down to drop off the beer on the day, however that's generally not an option available to me.

Any way just wondering for future reference if anyone knows of a drop of point that can refrigerate keg poured beers?

Thanks

I think Grain and Grape keep it cold. Send me a PM if you are having troubles on this front...

Andy

Too late to enter a beer. Do you need any help on the day?

Thanks for the tips it is very much appreciated. Wish I had have traveled the bit extra and dropped of at keg king but am glad to hear that it is possible to get comp beer in fridges. Cheers

Too late to enter a beer. Do you need any help on the day?

I think we're pretty much under control. Registering the entries we've received to date this morning, and it seems like we've got all posts filled, but there's always room for folks to come on down to the Alehouse and enjoy the day !

Andy

Guys don't want to be the bearer of bad news but G&G do not hold entries in the fridge. I've seen them stacked up behinind the counter in the past but figured I'd ask when I dropped off an entry on Friday. They don't have the room in their fridge they reckon which is fair enough I supose.

Guys don't want to be the bearer of bad news but G&G do not hold entries in the fridge. I've seen them stacked up behinind the counter in the past but figured I'd ask when I dropped off an entry on Friday. They don't have the room in their fridge they reckon which is fair enough I supose.

Thanks Darren for the correction. Probably worth us noting in future whether drop-offs do cold storage.

Cheers, and good luck everyone for the weekend!

Andy

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me what's the earliest time I can drop off entries?

Thanks, Sean

Latest posts

Back