Melbourne Brewers' Beerfest 2018 (Vic)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This open for entry now? Can't see the entry page up in compmaster yet.

Also are you calling out for Judges and Stewards?

The compmaster entry has not been launched yet due to the Christmas break. It is nearly completed and plan to upload as soon as possible.

Yes as usual, we are calling out for judges and stewards. Thanks for asking. Please give me your details and I will get the person in charge to contact you ASAP.

No dramas, just checking, no rush at all!

I've messaged you my details.

Ok guys. Compmaster entry is up and running now. The comp date is 24-25 Feb 2018, judging starts at 9.30am if you plan to join.

I'm a little interested in entering. I noticed the Compmaster site doesn't support HTTPS so all personal data provided is unprotected. It doesn't look like the site has been updated for many years. Just a heads-up for anyone else considering submitting an entry - noting that local brewing forums and retailers have been compromised and personal information stolen in the past few years.

I'm a little interested in entering. I noticed the Compmaster site doesn't support HTTPS so all personal data provided is unprotected. It doesn't look like the site has been updated for many years. Just a heads-up for anyone else considering submitting an entry - noting that local brewing forums and retailers have been compromised and personal information stolen in the past few years.

G’day,

I wrote and manage compmaster. It is not https, you are right. We don’t maintain any payment data, but data like passwords could be snooped. To date I’ve not had any issue with data attacks, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

The site has been updated to resolve other issues over time, but has not been refreshed with a new look for some time.

At the moment I am rewriting the site, and it will be https capable, and support a host of new features. In the meantime I’ll see if I can retrofit a certificate to it to create a greater level of comfort while that gets f8niahed.

Regards,

Andy

Specifies 500ml minimum bottle, any restrictions on glass bottles though?

In the past we have followed the Vicbrew guidelines on bottles. That Does a few things:
1. Makes it easier to manage bottles
2. Reduces errors due to stubbies of the same entry getting mixed up
3. Gets people used to the entry criteria for Vicbrew

Basically this amounts to “please use 750ml longnecks”, but if you check the entry instructions on CompMaster you’ll see the maximum dimensions for bottles. They are designed to make sure that crates will stack and bottles will fit into the crate spaces.

Hope that helps...

Andy

G’day,

I wrote and manage compmaster. It is not https, you are right. We don’t maintain any payment data, but data like passwords could be snooped. To date I’ve not had any issue with data attacks, but that doesn’t mean it can’t happen.

The site has been updated to resolve other issues over time, but has not been refreshed with a new look for some time.

At the moment I am rewriting the site, and it will be https capable, and support a host of new features. In the meantime I’ll see if I can retrofit a certificate to it to create a greater level of comfort while that gets f8niahed.

Regards,

Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the information, I didn't realise you were the author of the site.

My concern isn't about payment data - bank accounts and credit cards are trivial to change - but personal information isn't changeable with anywhere near the same degree of convenience.

Adding a certificate and using HTTPS is a decent step towards guaranteeing confidentiality in transit but you should also be protecting the information at rest in the database. Of course passwords should be salted and hashed but the database should also be protecting personal information so it cannot be easily compromised. The website also mentions a privacy statement but I couldn't find a link to it.

Cheers

The database is secured, and the passwords are absolutely hashed and salted...

Cheers,

Andy

BEERFEST is only a few months away and we need lots of people to put their hand up to help Judge and/or Steward. The competition will be held at The Brewers Den Warehouse, in Ferntree Gully. The dates will be: Saturday 24 Feb - Sunday 25 Feb 2017.

We will be running three sessions, Saturday Morning, Saturday Afternoon and Sunday Morning.

These events do not run without volunteers, and all levels of skill and experience are encouraged to participate. We do NOT insist on any particular qualification to judge beer - if you are a novice we will pair you with experienced judges.

So here's what you need to do, in three simple steps:

1) Decide to particpate!

2) Go and beg permission from the family, and add the date to your calendar.

3) Fill out the form here to register your participation.

Just a question about entry fees, the entry form states $10 and $2 without any details. Can this be clarified to avoid further confusion. Cheers.

Thanks - I've updated the label to make it clear (I hope) that the $2 is a discount for multiple entries after the first two entries for an entrant.

Cheers,

Andy

Are you only giving prizes for 1st place in each category this year? Do 2nd or 3rd receive anything?

There are prizes for first place in each category, and trophies for all placings.

Cheers,

Andy

One minor gripe, There is no address details for the Brewer's Den on Compmaster.

Also, are the entries stored cold from the closing date?

Latest posts

Back