May is Mild Month

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the input.
Decided on 1469, changed the hop bill to:

Fuggles 5 AA @ 60min
Styrians 4.1 AA @ 20min

Total IBU 19

Cheers Guys

I think I have got the adjustments pretty close for my system. Will be ordering and putting this down for my next brew or possibly 2 brews.

Dark Mild
Mild

My attempt at adjusting Manticles recipe to work with my BIAB system.

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 25.0
Total Grain (kg): 5.460
Total Hops (g): 39.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (°P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.015 (°P): 3.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 3.75 %
Colour (SRM): 19.4 (EBC): 38.2
Bitterness (IBU): 25.3 (Average - No Chill Adjusted)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 65
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Simpsons Maris Otter Malt (82.42%)
0.350 kg Simpsons Heritage Crystal 70-80L (6.41%)
0.210 kg Dingemans Aromatic Malt (3.85%)
0.210 kg Dingemans Biscuit or Briess Victory (3.85%)
0.150 kg Simpsons Chocolate (2.75%)
0.040 kg Simpsons Roasted Barley (0.73%)

Hop Bill
----------------
25.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)
14.0 g Challenger Pellet (6.5% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.6 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Stepped Infusion at 69°C for 40 Minutes and 78°C for 10 minutes.

Fermented at 20°C with Wyeast 1469 - West Yorkshire Ale

Not sure heritage is available in AU at the moment. If not, either simpsons medium or 1/3 each light, medium and dark.

Happy to be aboard the mild express...

Now its just a question of ordering a double batch or single batch of this from Craftbrewer.

Looks good mate! Love my dark milds here! Next brew or two will be the next batch I think (I'm up to version 12 of my Old Rifle Range Mild).... Depends on what grains I have on hand!

I'm brewing a mild tomorrow, 1.036 OG, using 002/1968.

Will it be ready to keg the following Saturday? (so I can harvest the yeast for another batch).

Ideally I'd top-crop, but that's not really possible with the jerrys I use as fermenters.

I use jerries and sometimes top crop.

I would say yes though - get plenty of oxygen in there and I would be surprised if she's not ready to go (although 1968 can sometimes slow down).

manticle said:
It's a beer best drunk fresh so take that into consideration.
I've seen you mention similar things a few times. What do you mean by this? Have you seen specific things degrade over time? I understand heavily hopped beers can mellow after time but I thought malt forward beers were a good candidate for slightly longer storage. Reason I ask is that I no chill and like to keep a few cubes ready to ferment when I can. Longest one I left was 1 month in the cube before fermenting. I didn't notice any differences to one that had been brewed, cubed and fermented in under 2 weeks.

Best drunk fresh after fermentation is what he means

lukiferj said:
I've seen you mention similar things a few times. What do you mean by this? Have you seen specific things degrade over time? I understand heavily hopped beers can mellow after time but I thought malt forward beers were a good candidate for slightly longer storage. Reason I ask is that I no chill and like to keep a few cubes ready to ferment when I can. Longest one I left was 1 month in the cube before fermenting. I didn't notice any differences to one that had been brewed, cubed and fermented in under 2 weeks.
Definitely talking post fermentation.

low alcohol, low hop rate means it desn't last super well. I have noticed they hit their prime pretty quick then can develop evidence of staling.

No-chilled wort is a completely different kettle of fish to fermented beer.

I thought I'd taste a bottle of the mild a week after being bottled to see how carbonation was going. It's been cool in the house and they're still hardly carbonated :(. I'll put a sixpack somewhere warm to see if I can get them sorted by next weekend. Even though it was quite flat, it already tastes pretty good and has a nice clean maltyness. I really like the S04 yeast. I need to try it in something else. It finished so fast and has left the beer crystal clear. I only used some Irish moss in the boil. No fermenter finings or cold crashing.

When its properly carbed i'll post a pic.

Latest posts

Back