Maturing your brew in kegs, How do you store them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctr-dan

Reaction score
Just wondering the best way to let your brew mature in kegs for a few weeks/months etc
Is okay for them to sit at room temperature ?
I did read somewhere you just need to put about 10psi of co2 in and let the oxygen out initially and then it's fine to let sit for however long.

I store my in a fridge I have tried both under pressure (i.e connected to co2) and also with just a purged keg, I don't think I noticed any difference so now I leave then in the fridge connected to co2

Yeah mate, just purge the oxygen from them and they will be fine. I keep mine under the house in the garage at 20c while I finish the others. The longest I've gone is a month but I had triple parked. I usually let them sit out fermenting temp for a week in the keg, then straight into the fridge for 48hrs, then give them a good gas and leave them for a week or two. I`ll check them once or twice to make sure they are carbonated to my liking.

If you store them in the fridge how long do you let them mature

If you're carbonating with co2 from a bottle, you really only need to wait until it's carbonated to the desired level. That's one of the best things about kegs, your beer's ready to drink very soon after kegging.

If you're carbonating naturally, ie with dextrose etc, you need to give it time for the yeast to do their work and a couple of weeks would be enough. Room temperature is ok, as long as it's not too hot.

"Maturing", in my experience, isn't that important. Drinking fresh is what I prefer......having said that, the beer near the end of the keg always seems to taste better.

I've let kegs condition for 2 years without issue (big RIS beers, a barley wine, lambics and flanders reds). I've stored them under the house at my parents and in my fermenting room. A stable temperature area that doesn't really go above 20C is good.

I give the kegs a very thorough clean before I keg. I take the posts of, the lid, all seals and give them a really good soak in neo-pink and then idophore. I gas my kegs before I rack beer into them, then purge once filled.

No issues so far to date.

" I gas my kegs before I rack beer into them, then purge once filled."

You mean u fil wil co2 before you rack? then fill the keg, then gas and purge?

penrithbeerclub said:
" I gas my kegs before I rack beer into them, then purge once filled."

You mean u fil wil co2 before you rack? then fill the keg, then gas and purge?
Yes, I try to keep exposure to oxygen at an absolute minimum. Following this procedure is also very good for hoppy beers.

Latest posts

Back