Maturing Beer In Kegs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.m

Reaction score
I have been told to keg and top with some CO2 and let it mature in the shed. Is this right and for how long can you store beer like this without it turning to shit?

Steve

instead of secondary ferment, you can keg your beer if your sure that primary has reasonably finished. leaving it at kegging temp & pressure for several weeks will definetly improve it, if you have the patience. however leaving it at ambient (15-25) will take a lot longer, & could be go off much quicker.

cheers

instead of secondary ferment, you can keg your beer if your sure that primary has reasonably finished. leaving it at kegging temp & pressure for several weeks will definetly improve it, if you have the patience. however leaving it at ambient (15-25) will take a lot longer, & could be go off much quicker.

cheers

I've been keg conditioning for a few months now with pretty good results. I run an 8mm hose off the carbuoy tap into a sanitised keg, then seal and burp with a little gas. The keg goes into the beer fridge at 1 degree or so for 1-2 weeks, depending on how patient I am. I then gas the keg to serving pressure and run a beer line to another keg and transfer it (to leave any sediment in the first keg). The second keg gets sealed and gassed to serving pressure for 48 hours. I then start drinking the beer. It gets better the longer I leave it, but it's drinkable that quickly. I can also filter if I feel so inclined, but I rarely feel the need.

Gan bei!

Tony

I've been keg conditioning for a few months now with pretty good results. I run an 8mm hose off the carbuoy tap into a sanitised keg, then seal and burp with a little gas. The keg goes into the beer fridge at 1 degree or so for 1-2 weeks, depending on how patient I am. I then gas the keg to serving pressure and run a beer line to another keg and transfer it (to leave any sediment in the first keg). The second keg gets sealed and gassed to serving pressure for 48 hours. I then start drinking the beer. It gets better the longer I leave it, but it's drinkable that quickly. I can also filter if I feel so inclined, but I rarely feel the need.

Gan bei!

Tony

I guess your not using corny kegs then? Otherwise it'd pick up all the sediment first.
Or do you chuck the first bit and continue filling?

Most people conditioning in corny kegs cut about aninch off the bottom of the dip tube. That minimises the amount of sediment that gets picked up.

Andy

I condition in corny's with the dip tube down at the bottom. There's just a bit of yeast in the first beer but then its perfect, if I do say so myself :D .Would not bother transfering to a clean corny after its already in one!

Steve

I condition in corny's with the dip tube down at the bottom. There's just a bit of yeast in the first beer but then its perfect, if I do say so myself :D .Would not bother transfering to a clean corny after its already in one!

Steve

Have to agree with you Steve. I drop the first output into a jug and have a look at it. If there's any great amount of sediment then I leave it to settle and pour off the top into the keg. After that, it's all clear.

If you are careful about how you decant from the fermenter into the keg, there should be little or no sediment in the conditioning keg. And what there is will be mainly in the crevices.

My kegs are corny kegs with the full length dip tubes, by the way.

Tony

Back