Maturation Time?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barrg0

Reaction score
:( :angry: Hi All,

I have recently racked a batch of Coopers Pale Ale only a week or so ago and put it into the fridge gassed it to carbonate it for two days befor tasting it. It tasted a bit watery (lacks flavour compared to the real deal). Is this because I have to let it mature for longer? I've noticed on the Coopers bottles that it gives a "Best After" date instead of Best Before date. I presume this means just that. Is this correct. I am new to this hobby and would just like to know if this brew will get better with age or have I done something to cause the watery taste. I believe maturation is quicker in kegs as opposed to bottling.

After I have decided that fermentation has ceased what should I do next.

Should I just put the fermenter into fridge for a some time before racking it into keg?

Or should I rack it into the keg, then into fridge, gas it and let it sit for a couple of weeks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Yeah I've laid down a Coopers Pale Ale and had similiar problems. I let it mature for around 3/4 weeks in the keg but the flavour didn't improve. The beer looked good but as you say it lacked flavour. I ended up tipping it but only cause I'm fussy. I followed the exact instructions on the tin, used Safale US-05 yeast and fermented at 16-17C. It reached the correct FG and everything.

I think that the best after date on the bottles is due to the fact that Coopers use natural carbonation (same as we do when we bottle our homebrew) for its secondary fermentation (using this form of secondary fermentation, as you are prob aware, takes longer for the beer to mature). This accounts for the cloudiness of the Coopers Pale Ale.

I used forced carbonation (same as you did) for this beer and I suspect that this could have impacted on the watery taste. Perhaps, if you decide to brew this beer again, you could try to bulk prime the keg and let it naturally carbonate (however this would take weeks as opposed to days when force carbonating). I suspect this could produce a beer that is closer in style to the real deal. Additionally, I have heard of people harvesting the yeast from a Coopers Pale Ale bottle and cultivating it to then use in their brew. Perhaps you could look into this as well.

In my book you can't go past Fresh Wort Kits - they are a little more expensive but you really can't stuff them up and they produce good beer every time. That being said I am just about to keg my first all grain brew - fingers crossed.....

Good luck to you

:( :angry: Hi All,

I have recently racked a batch of Coopers Pale Ale only a week or so ago and put it into the fridge gassed it to carbonate it for two days befor tasting it. It tasted a bit watery (lacks flavour compared to the real deal). Is this because I have to let it mature for longer? I've noticed on the Coopers bottles that it gives a "Best After" date instead of Best Before date. I presume this means just that. Is this correct. I am new to this hobby and would just like to know if this brew will get better with age or have I done something to cause the watery taste. I believe maturation is quicker in kegs as opposed to bottling.

After I have decided that fermentation has ceased what should I do next.

Should I just put the fermenter into fridge for a some time before racking it into keg?

Or should I rack it into the keg, then into fridge, gas it and let it sit for a couple of weeks?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

What yeast are you using for the Coopers Pale Ale (CPA)?

The yeast that comes with the kit is not the same yeast that Coopers use for the commercial product, and given a lot of the flavour in a CPA comes from the yeast, the yeast is a very important component.

Your best bet is to culture some yeast from a bottle or three of commercial CPA, and brew with that.

The yeast that comes with the kit is not the same yeast that Coopers use for the commercial product, and given a lot of the flavour in a CPA comes from the yeast, the yeast is a very important component.

Your best bet is to culture some yeast from a bottle or three of commercial CPA, and brew with that.

Agreed,
Coopers yeast is the distinctive component in this beer, and essential for anything remotely like a clone if thats what your trying to do.

Cheers,
BB

wow, i read the title of this thread too quick... :blink: :blink: :blink:

i have a dirty mind...

Yes I used the CPA yeast. I posted a question earlier regarding culturing yeast and am curious as to how you go about it. It seems like the logical way to go. I have had some replies regarding this subject and will look into it further. Has anyone used the Brewcraft "Coopers Pale Ale" kit? Just wondering if that would be a better way to go next time.

Yeah I've laid down a Coopers Pale Ale and had similiar problems. I let it mature for around 3/4 weeks in the keg but the flavour didn't improve. The beer looked good but as you say it lacked flavour. I ended up tipping it but only cause I'm fussy. I followed the exact instructions on the tin, used Safale US-05 yeast and fermented at 16-17C. It reached the correct FG and everything.

I think that the best after date on the bottles is due to the fact that Coopers use natural carbonation (same as we do when we bottle our homebrew) for its secondary fermentation (using this form of secondary fermentation, as you are prob aware, takes longer for the beer to mature). This accounts for the cloudiness of the Coopers Pale Ale.

I used forced carbonation (same as you did) for this beer and I suspect that this could have impacted on the watery taste. Perhaps, if you decide to brew this beer again, you could try to bulk prime the keg and let it naturally carbonate (however this would take weeks as opposed to days when force carbonating). I suspect this could produce a beer that is closer in style to the real deal. Additionally, I have heard of people harvesting the yeast from a Coopers Pale Ale bottle and cultivating it to then use in their brew. Perhaps you could look into this as well.

In my book you can't go past Fresh Wort Kits - they are a little more expensive but you really can't stuff them up and they produce good beer every time. That being said I am just about to keg my first all grain brew - fingers crossed.....

Good luck to you
Thanks for the info. Glad to hear that I'm not alone on this subject. My brother has used Hallertau hops in his brew and it tasted beautiful. However he does live in Melbourne and I suspect that the water quality there could have some effect too!!

Yes I used the CPA yeast. I posted a question earlier regarding culturing yeast and am curious as to how you go about it. It seems like the logical way to go. I have had some replies regarding this subject and will look into it further. Has anyone used the Brewcraft "Coopers Pale Ale" kit? Just wondering if that would be a better way to go next time.

It's probably about 4 years ago now when I was still doing K&K and the Brewcraft Coopers Pale ale was the second brew I ever did and is memorable as one of the worst beers I ever made out of a kit!
I seriously contemplated giving brewing away! :icon_vomit:

BB

Latest posts

Back