Matsos Brewery Broome

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCT

Beer Nerd
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried any of their beers? Any good?
Never heard of these guys but a mate tells me the beers are good.

The same mate also loves Carlton Draught, so I thought I'd get a second opinion before I get the wallet out.

Their ginger beer is a nice mid strength beer. I'm not a fan of the smokey bishop but that was a while ago and i've yet to try their mango beer.

I spent an arvo there a year or two ago and tried all their beers. It was a top afternoon!

Pete you must be crazy - the smokey bishop was definitely one of my favourites!

The mango beer nearly ruined the entire afternoon. It remains the most horrid beer I have ever drunk, and it amazes me that it is so popular - maybe I don't like mago enough.

Overall though, I have only fond memories of that brewery, so frikkin nice.

The Smokey Bishop is a fine beer when kept in good nick lots of Munich and just whiff of Rauch.
The mango beer is just wrong.
The beers at the brewery when I was there were underwhelming, but I believe there is a new brewer there now. Its a very compact brewing area he has to work in with the added problems of humidity and heat, so its a tough place to brew in.

I'm in perth now for a weekend away, and have just tried a few matsos beers. As reported, the mango beer is disgusting. The monsoonal blonde priced wheat beer also went down the sink, but was so bad i think it may have been heat damaged. The smoked bishop was drinkable, but very 2 dimensional. It came across as a tasteless lager base with a handful of dark grain thrown for some flavour and aroma. I'm thinking that Broome might not be the best spot for a brewery! If anyone's had a good experience with the spiced wheat, please let me know...

I visited 2009 Ok/fest - Roland Bloch was brewing and the festbier was superb. The London ale was a good midstrength bitter, the smokey bishop good, but not as good as the fest.

Mango on tap was quite a lot nicer than the one I tried at Fitsroy X-ing. The thing is not to drink it as a beer and more as a cooler. (still i'd go the beers anytime ;) )

Haven't been back to Broome since Roland left, though.

Been a while since ive been there but the smokey bishop and monsoonal blonde were excellent. chilli beer good aswell. good beer garden and resteraunt aswell which is the reason its so successful id say.

I'm gonna go against the flow and say that i loved the mango beer. THat was on tap though, and it was about 40 degrees, so that may have played a part. Tried pretty much all of them and gotta say generally i was pretty impressed. As some one else said, the food and atmosphere were good too. Was a good afternoon. Never tried the beers out of a bottle though...

Bottled BAhhH, its all about the fresh draught beer!

I'll say the same thing about the mango beer, nothing wrong with it on a hot day. from the bottle the mango is quite pronounced, which was different to what I was told about fruit beers.

Latest posts

Back