Matho's controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks a lot...

MaxN68 said:
I have search and probably found the bug.
In the next days verify the solution and upgrade the file in the new dopbox space with all Portoguese language also

lael said:
Ok - so the new circuit board is designed and pending some final decisions I'm about to send it off for fab prototyping.

There is one thing that I'm still a little perplexed by and would love clarification if anyone knows - what is the JU1 jumper for on the original design?

Cheers!
Matho mentions the reson for it in early in te thread. I will find the quote for it but it may take a reread.Not an issue in the standard board.

JU1 was part of the heater circuit shown in schematic here and rev 2 here to me looks like changing sides of the board and or circuit collision, but I'm scarey babe in the woods when it comes to this stuff. Will continue to look though.

MB

yeah, but vias (the yellow dots on the board) have been used in other areas for the same thing, so it isn't clear to me why a jumper would be used in that spot

Hey guys,

I am looking to have some PCB boards manufactured at http://www.seeedstudio.com/service/index.php?r=pcb using the Gerber files Matho provided earlier in the thread (thank you!).

I am a newbie when it comes to ordering PCB's, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out with the PCB options offered through the seeedstudio fusion service. Particularly, what PCB size should I order for compatibility with the arduino unit? (I presume the Gerber files do not specify the physical size of the PCB?)

Cheers!

Thanks Max
I don't recall seeing it in the settings, I will upgrade the unit tonight and have a look

I am also going to play with the P.I.D settings also.
planning on starting with Ki and Kd set to 0,
and help on what I should start Kp on ?

I explained in the manual an empirical way to set the PID.

Note: that fine tuning of the PID parameter is out of the scope of this user manual and many factors related to the
brewing system can influence the optimal setting.
For a more detailed explanation of PID control algorithm please refer to Wikipedia

A simple method to get an easy calibration of the PID algorithm suggests to set to 0 the value Ki and Kd and try to fine
tune only the Kp that allows the PID to get as close as possible to set point trying to minimize the difference between
actual temperature and set point.
Subsequently it is possible to tune the kI and kD considering that:
• In case the measured temperature overshot the set point reduce kP and Increase kD
• In case to much time is needed to get the controller to the set point increase kI
• In case of a permanent error below the set point increase kI

Since version 6.2.65 kI has been re-proportioned and is now worth 0.25 compared to the value of the previous versions, this is because I noticed an overly aggressive attitude of this parameter to changes in a single unit.

As already explained the other changes from previous versions are:

MANUAL MODE: You can switch the timer in a countdown acting simultaneously on buttons START + ENTER and setting the time with the UP and DOWN buttons. Repressing START + ENTER to activate the countdown

SET PID: was placed the duration of the sampling cycle to 3500ms and rescaled the value of kI (0.25) in order to have a more precise control of this constant.
During configuration must be rescaled by multiplying the old value by 4.

SET UNIT: two configurations have been added that allow you to check the status of Remove Malt and Iodine Test.
- Remove Malt: you can set the temperature control (ON/OFF) only to systems with internal temperature sensor
- Iodine Test: You can set the maximum execution time of the extra time (max 90 min) after which the system automatically advances to the next step; it is always possible to manually move forward step.
Setting the time to 0 min (OFF) user intervention is required for the advancement of the step.

CAUTION: For proper operation, proceed to configure the unit in its entirety before you perform any of the brewing cycle.

Then I promise you that as soon as I get time I will update the manual

Thats for if you want the PID to remain on after the controller tells you to remove the malt pipe. Eg: maintain mash out temp. A re-name to Maintain MashOut might be more intuitive? other suggestions for a better name?

Back