Masters: The Big Blue Shed On It's Way To You

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
masters_shed.jpg

They are currently building one of the above at Morayfield just up the road from Bunnings and so far it makes B look like a corner store. One serious hunk of building. I was talking to the guys in the furniture warehouse next door to the site and they said that they will be selling furniture and whitegoods as well, maybe even TVs etc but weren't sure yet.

So that's fridges and freezers that will be of interest to us brewers. I wonder what other items they are going to sell that might be worth looking at. Are there any stores open yet that anyone knows about? The Morayfield one looks like an 80 percenter at the moment, and they are powering ahead during the perfect weather here right now.

Edit: FTWCIL it's Woolie's answer to Bunnings in partnership with an American company.

View attachment 47167

They are currently building one of the above at Morayfield just up the road from Bunnings and so far it makes B look like a corner store. One serious hunk of building. I was talking to the guys in the furniture warehouse next door to the site and they said that they will be selling furniture and whitegoods as well, maybe even TVs etc but weren't sure yet.

So that's fridges and freezers that will be of interest to us brewers. I wonder what other items they are going to sell that might be worth looking at. Are there any stores open yet that anyone knows about? The Morayfield one looks like an 80 percenter at the moment, and they are powering ahead during the perfect weather here right now.

Edit: FTWCIL it's Woolie's answer to Bunnings in partnership with an American company.
Hope the service is better than the B stores.
GB

Ahh interesting I remember reading something about wollies opening a competitor for bunnings!
Cmon new price wars!!

There is one going to be built in the centre of Cairns. I think they have just started earthworks on the site.

Hope the service is better than the B stores.
GB
Probably will be staffed by Bunnings Refugees :lol:

:icon_offtopic: Worst ever service I ever got at B was when I bought my petrol line trimmer. I went to the aisle and there was a 30 going on 40 something female Bunnette sitting on a little mobile trolley thing, punching stuff into a hand held device, right in front of where the line trimmers were hanging. I stood there for a couple of minutes as I didn't want to break her concentration. Then:

Excuse me, I'm just going to grab one of those line trimmers off the hook if you don't mind, to check it out

Bunnette looks at BG like something crawled out from under a rock and goes on typing

Erm, EXCUSE ME - could I get one of those line trimmers please?

Bunnette now glares

There's a side to me that I don't really like, I'm a classic passive aggressive and slip into Basil Fawlty mode very easily when I'm standing on my dignity, so I started doing a Basil stuffed-shirt on her. "If you don't mind, I fully realise that your typing exercise here is of inestimable value to the smooth and profitable running of Bunnings, but you would have to agree that......." <_<

Eventually she heaved her rather chubby body (she was a bit past MILF hood and that was probably one of her problems) off the trolley and slunk away muttering. I didn't report her, I was over my Basil bit by then and who knows, maybe her dog or worse had died that morning. And I bought the trimmer unaided. :rolleyes:

You can't complain about the service at bunnings, coz there isn't any!!

I am building one of the damn things at Moronfield.

They are massive. Just wait for the price wars to start in September between Buyips and Masters. Keep your hard earned in your pocket till then.

Can't give you internal shots as it's super secret retail stuff but here's on of the nursury... :ph34r:

Nursury.jpg

what you fail to know is that wollies already took over mitre10 and so will now close down mitre10 stores or convert them to masters stores. another aussie icon gone.

its just another store people. bunnings arent anything they dont claim to be anything they arent

The service at my local Bunnings isnt too bad, except for on Saturday / Sunday morning's when there's a scrum of DIY'ers crowding around each staff member patiently waiting their turn to ask their silly questions :)

I go either just before closing time or after work when it's quiet.

I think bring it on, Bunnings needs some decent competition to make them review where they are slack. Up here in QLD the local Bunnings store (full warehouse size) doesn't have air con; and it is stupidly hot in there in summer, at least one person passes out every year from the heat in the store!. So what do they do, put air con or even decent sized extractor fans to extract the hot air, nooo. They put huge ceiling fans hanging from the roof to help recirculate all that hot air, mmm sauna with fans. :blink: Now Masters has marked out a spot for their air conditioned store it won't be long before the greed shed will have one. Don't get me wrong I prefer to keep my money with Bunnings as it's Australian owned, but the competition will be great.

Masters with the white goods etc will also be a great new place for these products, but I bet Bunnies will follow; so hopefully more cheap homebrew gear.

what you fail to know is that wollies already took over mitre10 and so will now close down mitre10 stores or convert them to masters stores. another aussie icon gone.

its just another store people. bunnings arent anything they dont claim to be anything they arent

They will be just closing them down if that's the case CM, most stores I have seen aren't big enough by any stretch. Minimum store size is 12,500m2 (3 acres in old skool speak) of retail floor space with at least 300 car parks.

If your in the market for power tools rumour has it both will be offering ridiculously cheap deals for them come the launch.

Chap Chap

I though Woolies never ended up with Mitre 10 and Masters was the new avenue, and that Mitre 10 was attempting to sue Masters for the color Blue

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydn...i-1226090202179

QldKev

I though Woolies never ended up with Mitre 10 and Masters was the new avenue, and that Mitre 10 was attempting to sue Masters for the color Blue

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/sydn...i-1226090202179

QldKev
Correct Kev. What Woolies did was to buy the supply chain that supplied the Mitre 10 franchise network with hardward goodies, can't recall the name now, but maybe that's where the confusion set in?

Oh BTW QldKev the Master's stores are all fully airconditioned except for the nursury and trade area's.

there is also talk of one here in toowomba also. supposedly right next door ( seperated by a dead end road) can see employees changing shirt colour. can't hurt for some good deals.
will the service be any better though???

My mate is the business accountant for alh hotels (owned now by wooloies) so i get all the low down

qldkev - bunnings isnt Australian n owned it's owned by wesfarmers.

Bunnings r no frills warehouse . cuts down on overheads which is good.

Nothing wrong with some compitition though

My mate is the business accountant for alh hotels (owned now by wooloies) so i get all the low down

qldkev - bunnings isnt Australian n owned it's owned by wesfarmers.
Bunnings r no frills warehouse . cuts down on overheads which is good.

Nothing wrong with some compitition though

Yep, I know they are under the Wesfarmers group. (I worked with Bunnings for 8 years at head office, and my wife has worked for them for 15 years)

Wesfarmers is Australian owned, therfore I think it is safe to say Bunnings is.

QldKev

edit: Taken from the Wesfarmers website: From its origins in 1914 as a Western Australian farmers' cooperative, Wesfarmers has grown into one of Australia's largest listed companies and employers.

I worked at Bunnings for 7 years while at highschool/uni. The main thing is they have cut down heavily on staff members. When I worked there, there was a fulltime staff member looking after 1 to 2 ailse depending on stock type, now is something like 1 fulltimer to 5 ailes. I think its good that there is good that Masters is coming into the market, but please don't forget the smaller hardware stores. I am not sure about cities other than Perth, but there are still come really good small hardware store dotted around. Bunnings aren't always cheaper, I get my cement from a small hardware store and he is 90c a bag cheaper than the big green shed, it might not sound like much but it adds up over the year.

Bunnings was originally BBC hardware...then Westfarmers ( perth ) took them over and re-named them bunnings

Mate i don't classify a publicly listed company as being Australian owned.
or owned by any country

Latest posts

Back