Massive Sulphury Lager Ferment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

floppinab

Reaction score
I've got another rotten egg special going on.

I've done around 8 lager brews across the last year and half and I reckon about 3 of those have thrown a massive (and I mean MASSIVE) amount of sulphur, that due to the sheer volume I haven't been able to get rid of through lagering.

Latest brew is a weirdo Amber Lager thing I put together, 50/50 pale & lager malt with some choc and rye caramel, bittered with some Northern Brewer with some Sauvin and Saaz later additions.

I've centred my brewing process on generally producing 2L of extra wort which I use for making a stir plate starter with whatever yeast I'm using. Starter then gets chilled, majority of beer poured off and remainging 200-300ml pitched. In this case it is WY2124, not usually known for throwing a lot of sulphur.

Thing is I used the same yeast and process for a Pilsner recently which turned out a beauty and scored pretty well in a recent comp. Only difference I can think of is the Pilsner starter was put together @ ambient temps in winter, took quite a while (prolly ~ 1 week) to product enough yeast to pitch. The rotten eggs brew starter was done while pretty warm here in Sydney and only took 4 or 5 days to give me enough yeast.

Both brews pitched cold, both fast starts (within 24 hours) and good ferments.

One other thing I can think of is the rotten egg brew had a softer boil than the Pils but I can't believe that would make the huge difference.

I've heard some infections will cause a high level of sulphur but I'd like some more detail of exactly what type of infection if anyone has any, if indeed that is the cause.
It's going to to sit in CC for a couple of weeks but if it's still a rotten egg mess after that then more than likely it's going into the bin.

Could be a few things, but from your description I would say yeast stress, a warm, fast starter can stress the yeast and it won't do Lager yeasts any favours.

Some of the other things to look at are:

Excessive sulfates in your water.
Infection
Leaving your beer on the yeast for an extended period at higher than normal temps (yeast autolysis).
Excessive re-use of yeast
Overpitching

Andrew

Could be a few things, but from your description I would say yeast stress, a warm, fast starter can stress the yeast and it won't do Lager yeasts any favours.

Hmmmm, I kinda thought it wasn't a big deal with starters, i.e. if they were a bit warm then no big deal you just got your healthy yeast a bit quicker. In both cases I got a very good volume of yeast.

Excessive sulfates in your water.

No problem there, Sydney water is soft and water was the same for all the brews I've had, good and bad.

Infection

I've heard from a few sources that a type of infection could cause excess sulphur but I haven't seen any detail of the root cause.

Leaving your beer on the yeast for an extended period at higher than normal temps (yeast autolysis).
Excessive re-use of yeast

No issues there, all ferments at around 10 deg with a rest @ 17 odd. Yeasts were first gen. from Wyeast.

Overpitching

= Sulphur???? Really???

Temp will kill you - but fear not, i have 2 solutions;

* time - let is sit for a few days on the yeast
* temp - let it be warm for a few days on yeast then drop off for a few weeks venting to air (to let the sulphur dissapate)

Whilst thats 2 solutions, a bit of copper will help, solid or copper sulphate. Will suck those sulphurs right out, particuarly if you transfer thru some copper pipe.

Been having suplhur issues myself with wyeast cultures, shame its 2400l's worth...

Scotty

QUOTE (AndrewQLD @ Nov 11 2008, 06:59 PM)
Overpitching

= Sulphur???? Really???

Yep. read the first point, yeast stress. Overpitching in itself can lead to flavour and aroma problems in beer and if you have a stressed yeast to begin with then pitching too much of that yeast can exacerbate the symptoms.

It might not have been you that stressed the yeast to begin with, it could have been from faulty handling, don't forget that some lager yeasts are prone to sulphury fermentations and if you overpitch one of those it can be a real stinker.

Andrew

Stress can do all sorts of things ... like making lager in the first instance.

Did the ferment start to 'race', or take a while to get started or both .... such things indicate some stress and will kikc up sulphur. Another solution is to brew Ales .... with Marris Otter ... EKG's .... the THAMESheisgebot method .... us IBU's know it well and such method avoids stressed anything ...

Scotty

Stress can do all sorts of things ... like making lager in the first instance.

Did the ferment start to 'race', or take a while to get started or both .... such things indicate some stress and will kikc up sulphur. Another solution is to brew Ales .... with Marris Otter ... EKG's .... the THAMESheisgebot method .... us IBU's know it well and such method avoids stressed anything ...

Scotty

May I ask what is the THAMESheisgebot method?

May I ask what is the THAMESheisgebot method?

:lol:
Nickname given by English Ale enthusiasts....one grain (marris), one hop (EKG), english yeast....quick ferment, grain to brain in a fortnight or less. No mess, no fuss. No cold temps, no extended lagering, no sulphury lager smells... ;)

What did the starter taste and smell like? Was there sulphur present?
How long was your fermentation and how long did you leave it on the yeast before cold conditioning?

I find that I need to leave my lagers on the yeast cake for a few days after fermentation has finished. I then chill it in primary for a few more days then keg. It allows the yeast to clean up a few of these flavours.
My other suggestion is to make sure that the ferment is venting properly. If using glad wrap make sure there is a whole in it so all the sulphur can escape.

Kabooby :)

Back