Mashout Procedure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renzo

Reaction score
Gday everyone,

I've got a question about mashout volume. I've got a blichman tun with a false bottom and was wondering if anyone had any ideas on mashout procedure for single infusion in general. I've never done a mashout step before but would like to try and was wondering do I add the amount ( as calculated by beersmith) to the initial mash water at the end of the sacharification or first drain that amount then add mashout water? Or do I simply add mashout water to initial sach volume (after 60-90mins naturally) stir in - rest for 10mins, vorlauf then begin sparge?

example:
  • add 15.23L at 73 C
  • Hold for 75mins at 65.6C
  • add 9.09 at 95C ( to initial volume)
  • Stir in.
  • Hold for 10mins at 75.6C (i.e. 15.23 + 9.09 = 24.32L in tun)
  • Vorlauf 10mins.
  • begin runoff and start sparge.
I'm not asking about temps or volumes apart from the question of do I add the 9.09L to the initial 15.23L or drain the initital 15.23 then add the 9.09 and then proceed to sparge?

To clarify I also use a pump to vorlauf and have a sparge ring conected to HLT
Cheers.

add the 9.09L to the initial 15.23L

The whole idea of mashout is to increase the temperature of the whole mash to approx 76 degrees and hold it there long enough to stop all the enzyme action.

Typically, you would add enough water to hit your temp (I normally just trust beer smith to do the math and then make adjustments with the kettle where required) and then lauter once it has been at that temp for 15 mins or so (10 mins would be fine though).

Add the 9L to the 15 L then recirc then run off then sparge

do I simply add mashout water to initial sach volume (after 60-90mins naturally) stir in - rest for 10mins, vorlauf then begin sparge?

Yes! You got it. A Tip! Work out the water volume to suit infusion temp of around 93 but then boil the water and add. If you calculate the water volume for boiling water (100C) you will not hit mashout temp due to the loss of temp during the time taken to remove the pot from the heat source and transfer to the mash tun. If using Beersmith use the Strike/infusion Temp Tool. Set the target Step Temperature to 77 then enter your starting water volume (in your case 15.23L), weight of grain in your mash tun, the Initial Mash Temperature (your Sacch rest 65.6) should be entered as whatever the temp is actually in the tun. Mash tun weight will be the default as set in your equipment settings in Beersmith. Now adjust the Water to Add volume until the Infusion Water Temperature is at 93C or near enough.

Remember to use the volume of water calculated but not at 93C........... add boiling water, which will be at or near 93C by the time you get it into your tun.

This will save you some headaches and shortcut you actually having to learn this technique by trial and error.

Cheers,

Screwy

Remember to use the volume of water calculated but not at 93C........... add boiling water, which will be at or near 93C by the time you get it into your tun.

Absolute cracker of a tip screwy... I don't think I've ever hit mash out temp using the beer smith calculations, and reckon I might need to give your method a go.

Yes! You got it. A Tip! Work out the water volume to suit infusion temp of around 93 but then boil the water and add. If you calculate the water volume for boiling water (100C) you will not hit mashout temp due to the loss of temp during the time taken to remove the pot from the heat source and transfer to the mash tun. If using Beersmith use the Strike/infusion Temp Tool. Set the target Step Temperature to 77 then enter your starting water volume (in your case 15.23L), weight of grain in your mash tun, the Initial Mash Temperature (your Sacch rest 65.6) should be entered as whatever the temp is actually in the tun. Mash tun weight will be the default as set in your equipment settings in Beersmith. Now adjust the Water to Add volume until the Infusion Water Temperature is at 93C or near enough.

This will save you some headaches and shortcut you actually having to learn this technique by trial and error.

Cheers,

Screwy

No worries. I have a heating element in a keg as my HLT right above and next to the MT. I'll make sure the temp of that is 93C ( ramp up during sach rest) and then add to MT until Grain temp is 76C once sach rest is done.
While its at mashout (10-15mins) I'll adjust thermostat to 76 ( and add cold water as needed to HLT) so that by the time I'm ready to sparge, the HLT water is at a perfect 76 for sparge.

Latest posts

Back